Wednesday, February 8, 2023

Review of A Divine Romance by Ifueko Ogbomo

 


I had the privilege of being on the launch team for the debut novel by Ifueko Ogbomo, A Divine Romance, a story that was inspired by the life of Joseph from Genesis in the Old Testament of the Bible. Here are my thoughts. 

A Divine Romance is a beautifully told version of the biblical love story. A familiar story, the story of Joseph who had been sold into slavery by his own brothers. In hindsight of course we know God took what was meant for evil and turned it for the good of his people. But so much of the story is unknown. I myself had forgotten the name of Joseph's wife, though I knew he had one as he had sons. So, to read the story mainly from the perspective of Asenath was intriguing. To wonder what the life of the daughter of a priest would have been like, to have a glimpse into ancient Egypt, to see how a pagan might have become the loving wife of a Hebrew who had risen from slave to second in command in Egypt. It was just a lovely story, filled with beautiful descriptions and lovely poetry. Not just at the beginning of each chapter, but throughout the story.

It's a story of God's love and mercy, a story of putting God first above all others, a story of the power of the one true God over the false gods of Egypt. But yes, it is a love story as well. A story that brought me to tears more than once.


I also loved how each chapter not only began with a poem, but with a word that set the mood of what was taking place.


I'd like to share a few of the passages that stuck with me:


"And when I looked at it, I saw a profound truth: your God saw me and he cared enough to let me know so. If this was the God you wanted me to worship wholeheartedly, then your request was not so much a burdensome condition, but a delightful invitation."


"Are you so quick to forget that even when you did not yet know him, he loved you enough to hear your cry, and give you the sign you asked for? Why would he now withhold any good thing from you? He never forsakes us, Asenath, yet he is the only God who gives his own the free will to forsake him." (This was such a powerful personal reminder.)


"The knowledge of God's sovereignty, coupled with the understanding of his limitless compassion, was salve upon Joseph's wounded heart. It still bled, but now it was spilling drops of mercy."


I also love that the author included a reader's guide that included a map of Ancient Egypt, a table of the Ancient Egyptian deities included in the story, fashions of Ancient Egypt, and a list of character names.


Definitely a book I recommend, especially if you are a fan of biblical fiction.
I received a copy of this book from the author. I was not required to write a favorable review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!