Thursday, January 11, 2024

Reading Challenges 2024 Introduction

I'm gong to be participating in several challenges again this year. 

The first challenge again comes from the Avid Readers of Christian Fiction Facebook Group I am in.


The Unlocking the Past: Unlocking Ecclesiastes 3 Challenge is from Crystal Caudill's blog.


There is also the reading challenge from the Eating Our Words Facebook group. 


I'm joining in with The Posse again:


I'm again joining in with the Read Your Bookshelf Challenge from Chantel Reads All Day. For this year's challenge we are to choose a path to follow, Montgomery or Doyle, and then there are months where we could choose to switch paths. 

I'm also joining in with a "Book Club" with the Between the Pages group on Facebook. This challenge has a specific book to read and discuss each month. 


One of the authors I follow, Malissa Chapin, is also doing a challenge on her FB page, Malissa Chapin's Merry Band of Book Lovers:


And another author I follow is the admin in another FB group, and they created a challenge this year. 


I'm also going to try to read a book set in each of the 50 states with the Literary Escapes Challenge. I tried last year, but didn't get all 50 states, only 33. I'm hoping to do better this year, and plan to definitely get in the states I missed last year.


I figured I might as well also sign up for her Alphabet Soup Challenge, seeing as I had read plenty of books last year and had all but 4 of the letters covered without trying. 


I'm also going to try to read books set in as many European countries as possible with the 2024 European Reading Challenge from Rose City Reader. Last year I read books from seven different European countries. I'm hoping to increase that number this year. 


Also, someone in my Avid Readers of Christian Fiction group again came up with a yearly book challenge. This year we have 50 prompts:

Read a book...

  1. With a title that starts with a P

  2. By an author you’ve never tried before

  3. Set on the coast

  4. With a tree on the cover

  5. By an author whose name starts with a J

  6. From a genre outside your comfort zone

  7. With an adverb in the title

  8. Featuring a character with grey hair

  9. That has won a Carol award

  10. Published in 2024

  11. By a debut author

  12. Written by multiple authors

  13. With a green cover

  14. That is a bestseller

  15. Set on a boat, train, or plane

  16. With an illustrated cover

  17. With a main character who is disabled

  18. With a single mother or father

  19. Written by an indie author

  20. Set somewhere you’ve been

  21. Featuring law enforcement 

  22. Published during the summer

  23. Set during a holiday

  24. That is considered women’s fiction 

  25. Featuring a Jewish character

  26. Set over 100 years ago

  27. That contains bible verses

  28. With a teenager as a main character 

  29. With a one word title 

  30. A book you preordered

  31. With a solid colored cover

  32. By an author who writes with a pen name 

  33. That takes place in a national park 

  34. With a title that starts with an M

  35. By a male author

  36. That includes pirates

  37. By an author whose name starts with the letter T

  38. That has been made into a movie or television show 

  39. With forgiveness as a topic or theme

  40. Featuring a journalist 

  41. That includes sisters

  42. With a midwife or doula

  43. That takes place in a country you’ve never been to

  44. That is lighthearted or humorous 

  45. Set during WWII

  46. That you choose because of the cover

  47. By an author who writes multiple genres

  48. With a dual timeline 

  49. With a second chance romance

  50. Recommended by someone you know

Also, I joined in with a second yearly challenge last year in the Scripture Literature-You Are What You Read group. I just never added it to my blog post. So, this year I'm adding it here, though the post is going to be so long. LOL. 

So, here it is:

1- Takes place in Israel

2- Second chance

3- Not your usual genre

4- Significant church event

5- Well known author/lesser known book

6- Major motion picture

7- About an influential Christian

8- A Mysterious disappearance

9- Speculative Fiction

10- Protagonist has a disease/disability

11- Recommended by an author

12- Includes angels

13- An inheritance

14- Finish what you started

15- Carol Award winner

16- A Spy

17- Forgiveness

18- Redemption

19-Less than 200 pages

20. Two or More Authors

21. By your Favorite Author

22. Male Protagonist

23. Recommended on this Page

24. Blended Families

25. Book of Devotions

26. Christian Literary Classic

27. Dystopian

28. Mistaken Identity

29. A Life Lesson

30. Bible Retelling

31. The American Frontier

32. Features Music

33. Recovering from Addiction

34. Gothic Romance

35. Eye Catching Cover

36. Takes Place on an Island

37. Spiritual Warfare

38. Protagonist Shares your Occupation

39. Written by a Famous Christian

40. Family Estrangement

41. Tear Jerker

42. Treasure Hunt

43. New to you Author

44. Mother-Daughter Bond

45. 2023 Best Seller

46. Title Includes a Color

47. Fairytale

48. On your TBR

49. Alternate Reality

50. Written before 1950

51. Includes a Foreign Language

52. Includes a Historical Monarch

53. Choose your own Adventure  

My Goodreads goal is to read 110 books this year. Last year I had set it at 100 and I ended up reading 122. I think I will be able to meet my 110 book goal. 

Phew, I know this seems like a lot, even more than last year, but like last year, I hope to be able to combine challenges where possible. And with the yearly challenges, I read books for the other challenges and then see where they fit in the yearly challenge lists. Also, when I pick books for the monthly challenges, I will try to choose books that take place in different states or countries. Also, I'll probably prioritize the challenges I've been doing longer if I start struggling with keeping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!