Tuesday, July 23, 2024

What We Hide by Colleen Coble and Rick Acker Review

 

 

I'm a huge fan of Colleen Coble's books, so when I learned about What We Hide, which she co-authored with Rick Acker, I knew I was going to have to read it. Rick Acker is a new-to-me author, and now I can't wait to read more of his books. I love that there was romantic suspense with legal/courtroom suspense added in. 

Savannah and Hez have been separated and are headed for divorce, though Hez would love to be able to get back together with Savannah and show her that he is a changed man. Savannah would prefer to have nothing to do with him, that is until she suddenly finds herself the main suspect in a murder that occurred on the college campus where she works. The college her ancestors helped found. 

The reader knows early on that there is smuggling of ancient artifacts taking place, but the mystery revolves around who is actually doing the smuggling, what exactly is being smuggled, and how is the murder related. As the story progresses, there are more mysteries and lots of suspense and twists, more deaths, and another suspect added into the mix. 

Savannah and Hez do end up finding themselves working together to try to solve this mystery and find the killer and clear those who have come under suspicion. But more secrets and twists keep popping up and we can't be sure who can be trusted. 

I had actually suspected the person who ends up being the murderer early on. But with all the twists, I figured maybe I was wrong. However, the authors throw in a final twist at the end along with a cliff hanger that makes me desperate to read the sequel. Which I hope isn't too long in the coming. 

One thing that frustrated me was that Savannah and Hez weren't communicating with each other when it came to their relationship. They kept assuming. It's like, just sit down and talk it out please! I understand with the tragedy they shared from their past that there were things that they had to work through. I was thinking they would benefit from some biblical marriage counseling. 

All in all, I loved this book and highly recommend it. 

I received an e-copy of this book through NetGalley and was not required to write a favorable review. These are my own honest thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!