Thursday, September 12, 2024

Cold Threat by Nancy Mehl Review


Cold Threat by Nancy Mehl is the second book in her Ryland & St. Clair series. I've enjoyed both books so far, and can't wait to read book three. 

In this book ex-FBI agents/private investigators River Ryland and Tony St. Clair find themselves going to Tony's hometown of Burlington, Iowa to help his police detective father by creating a profile for an UNSUB in a case that might just go back twenty some years. His father is hoping to get some proof that the person who was put away years ago for the crimes was not the actual serial killer, and the serial killer is still at large and responsible for some recent murders/arson cases. 

Not only do River and Tony have to help with this case, they have to stay on their guard because they learned at the end of the first book that the serial killer that had been captured had someone working with him, and he is still after River. 

Not only do we see the story from River and Tony's point of view, but we also get into the head of both bad guys. The person behind the murders and arsons that Tony's father is investigating, and the serial killer who is after River. 

With a book with two different killers, I admit I did expect the book to be more suspenseful than it was. The mystery behind who the Snowman was unraveled slowly as River and Tony worked on their profile. Plus more information was shared by seeing the thoughts of the Snowman. There were some details I had figured out, some quite early, but I was a bit surprised by who exactly the killer ended up being. 

There were some things that didn't quite add up for me, though I won't mention what they were as I don't want to spoil anything. And I do have to say, there were parts of the story that dragged and were slow with quite a bit of repetition. Both when it came to information about the case, and when it came to the personal relationships of the characters. There was a lot of dwelling on the same thing over and over. Though, I do admit, when a person has issues they are trying to work through, thought will continue to crop up. Don't get me wrong, there was suspense in the book, I just wasn't on the edge of my seat as I have been with previous books of the author.

I appreciated the faith aspect of the story and the way they went to God's Word for answers. 

I AM invested in this story and need to find out how their story is going to end, so I will definitely be reading book three soon. I'm enjoying seeing the relationship between River and Tony slowly evolve and am really hoping there will be more developing between them. Like Tony's mother, I think they make a great couple, whether they want to admit it or not. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!