Where We Belong by Kim Vogel Sawyer is an awesome, amazing book!
Usually if I'm zinging through a book and needing to know what happens next it is a suspense or thriller. But I was so invested in these characters I could not put this book down. I finished it in a day! This is not my first book by this author, but it is now my favorite.
I was captivated from the very first page. I could feel Callum Holbrook's excitement and his desire to get to his children, two girls who he had no choice but to put in an orphanage when he was destitute and unable to care for them. However, now he was exhilarated, planning to pick them up because he had employment and housing. However, his hope was shattered when he learned that his children had been sent out west on an orphan train.
And then we switch points of view to Hester Haak, a childless widow living in Kansas who desires the love and companionship of a little girl, a daughter, so she heads out to meet the orphan train. I mean, you can see where this is going, right? How can we not have compassion for both Callum and Hester?
And we also get the point of view of one of the girls, the teenager Evelyn, or Evvie. The reader can feel her determination and her confusion. Wondering why her and her sister Winnie have been sent out west, when she KNOWS her father is still alive and is supposed to be coming for them. So, when this strange woman wants to be her momma, she wants nothing to do with her. Yes, I admit I understand her attitude, but there were times I felt she went a little overboard. I loved seeing the way she changed throughout the story.
The other point of view is that of Scotty, an older man who had been a drifter, yet was now living in the storeroom of Hester's store and helping out with fixing and loading and such. Their relationship was close to that of father and daughter, and you could see that they cared about each other.
I love the way this found family grew to love and care for each other. All the while wondering what would happen when the "real" father, Callum, found his children.
I loved the way the town rallied around this family, welcoming the children, supporting them and Hester, caring for them in times of need. The younger children were wonderful characters. I loved Winnie and Guy and another little boy that found his way to them. I loved the way God placed people in their lives and in the life of Callum. I loved the spiritual truths that are shared in the book, and the faith that the majority of the characters had, while also seeing the way God was working to draw others to Himself, even through their anger and pain. And the reminder that God's will is not always what we think it's going to be. God answers prayer. God is there for us, even in our darkest times. But He is sovereign and He knows best, even if we can't see it at the time.
Here is a quote that spoke to me:
"'Mr. Holbrook, I can't speak to this particular situation, but I can share my experiences. In the past when I felt as though God threw a barrier into my path, I eventually discovered He had something else - something better - in mind for me.' The man's solemn yet kind tone held Callum's attention. 'Maybe God is protecting you from something or is guiding you in a new direction.' He put his hand on Callum's shoulder. 'You see, God is always working on behalf of His children. I don't always understand His ways, but I've learned that I can always trust His heart.'"
Very inspiring, very emotional, very heartwarming. I can't really say anything else besides - I just loved this book and highly recommend it.
My only disappointment is having to say goodbye to these characters. I wish their story could continue. Thankfully the author wrapped everything up perfectly.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!