Saturday, June 15, 2024

Because of You by Hannah Currie Review

 


I was recently introduced to Hannah Curries books when I was on the review team for the first book in her Daughters of Peverall series. When I learned she had written a book that focused on a mission trip I was quite intrigued. Yes, it is different than a princess book, but Because of You is an awesome story. It is geared to young adults, but it is also great for adults to read, especially if one has an interest in missions.

I loved reading about Chloe's trip, especially knowing that the author had gone on a mission trip to Thailand when she was a teenager, and she had included some true-life moments. Seeing some of the preparation Chloe and her team had gone through, in memories, as the story begins when they are on their way to Thailand was quite intriguing. The majority of the story, however, focused on the time the teens are in Thailand working at a refuge for girls. The reader gets to see the hardships that the team dealt with, the sacrifices they made, and the friendships they made with the girls. Such a hard thing to think of the fact that there are girls out there being sold by their families into a life of slavery, girls who end up in brothels, girls who have no hope. Because while there were true orphans in this refuge, there were also ones who were considered orphans as their families didn't want them or couldn't take care of them. But the hope we see through the caretakers of the refuge, knowing there are people out there with the heart for helping these girls, was very moving.

At the same time, we also see how Chloe grows spiritually through this experience. Though her faith is strong already, she still has things she struggles with, don't we all, and it was encouraging to see her turn to the Lord for strength.

I truly enjoyed this book, even though it isn't the usual type of story I read. It was very encouraging, and even entertaining with some awesomely hilarious scenes in among the more serious scenes. And I felt I learned a bit about the culture of Thailand as well.

Definitely a book I recommend.

I received an e-copy of this book as a member of the launch team and was not required to write a favorable review. These are my own honest thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!