Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Review: Tested by Fire

Wow! I just finished the book "Tested by Fire" by Kathy Herman.  I noticed this book on the church library shelf where I take the girls to playgroup.  Figured it would fit into my Thriller/Suspense Challenge.


I highly recommend this novel. There is suspense and mystery, there is mercy and forgiveness skillfully meshed into the storyline. This book introduces the reader to many important people living in the small town of Baxter. As stated on the back cover of the book, "A bizarre houseboat explosion rocks the close-knit community of Baxter to its core." A terrible event that takes the lives of the family who are assumed asleep on the houseboat at the time of the explosion. At first it appears to be an accident, but suddenly evidence is brought to light pointing to the possibility of murder. One of the first characters we are introduced to is Jed, the best friend of the father/husband of the family killed in the explosion. He takes it upon himself to learn the truth. 

This is a close-knit community as stated and everyone wants to know what happened. They want to see justice done to the extent that there is a lot of judging and assuming going on. Because of this we see the importance of knowing all the facts, the importance of letting God be in charge of the vengeance, or lack thereof. We see God's mercy and the power of His forgiveness, not just toward the main characters, but to others in the town with their own personal experiences and conflicts.  I found myself growing to really like the characters in this book, even the ones who at first seemed to have no redeeming qualities; they have become real to me and I feel that is a mark of a good story. 


If it weren't for having to take care of children I wouldn't have put this book down.  The story had me in it's grips from the beginning and I needed to see what would become of the characters I was getting to know and love.
I can't wait to read the remaining books in the series set in the town of Baxter.
I give this book 5 stars!

1 comment:

  1. Meant to comment on the other, but oh well. I loved Deadline when I read it back in college. I might have to hunt down my copy and reread it sometime.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!