Monday, May 31, 2010

Review: The Hidden Staircase

I have to say I liked this book better than the first book in the series (The Secret of the Old Clock) that I posted about here and here.  In this adventure Nancy is approached by her friend Helen to help solve the mystery of a "ghost" who is scaring her great aunt and great grandmother in their home with lots of "strange happenings."  At the same time Nancy is warned that her father, who is involved in some legal work involving property sales and the railraod, is in danger.  It is up to Nancy, with the help of her friend, to figure out who is getting into the house and how, but also to figure out if there is a connection between the warning about the danger her father is in and this "haunted" house.

In this book we find out that Nancy has a... boyfriend?, but he is mentioned, they go out for the evening and get back home in less than a page and we never hear about him again.  In other words, the same problem I found in the last book is still evident here.  Parts of the story that seem to come and go way too fast.  The actual mystery about the haunting of the house was quite intriguing.  This book definitely kept me trying to see if I could figure out how someone is getting inside and around this house.  A decent amount of suspense is present too.  I enjoyed trying to figure out how both mysteries would mesh together.  The one thing that bothered me personally was the continual mention of the intruder as a "ghost" by Nancy, when you know as she goes around looking for hidden passageways she doesn't feel she is dealing with a ghost.

I would rate this with 4 stars and I am looking forward to reading more of these mysteries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!