Friday, August 13, 2010

Review: The Secret of Shadow Ranch

Finally finished my 5th Nancy Drew book for the Nancy Drew challenge over at Books, Movies and Chinese food.  At this rate I will never get these books finished by the end of the year.  That's okay though, I am interested in them now, and they are quick reads, so I will continue reading them.
In this story Nancy is now with new friends, no Helen in this book.  She meets George and Bess for a visit at Shadow Ranch and it is immediately obvious that somebody doesn't want her there, so something is up, there is  a mystery or two to solve.  I have noticed that there are usually two mysteries to solve in these books which of course end up being related.  In this book Nancy needs to solve the mystery of where her friends'cousin's father is.  Is he involved in a bank robbery or is he a victim/hostage?  In addition, there is a mystery at the ranch.  Who is causing the sabotage and why?  And why/how is it connected to the appearance of the "phantom" horse?
I enjoyed this book.  The mysteries are getting more involved and it is quite enjoyable trying to figure out who the culprit is.  It was pretty obvious especially after the one was eliminated from suspicion.  It's the little hints that help Nancy to figure out all the mysteries.  I have noticed it is a little tricky to figure some things out, like how they were getting the phantom horse to work because of thinking in 21st century terms and trying to figure out what would have been technologically available several decades ago.
All in all, I give this book 5 stars.

1 comment:

  1. It's so funny to me that I didn't remember Helen at all and thought George and Bess were in all the books until I went back to read one of the early book's for Nancy's birthday. I'm pretty sure you won't come across Helen again, though.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!