Friday, January 4, 2019

Friday Fun - January 4th, 2019

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

It has been a while since I have posted here. I sort of reread the Keeper of the Lost Cities series again, so didn't have anything new to share. Then I reread the Twilight series, though I am not sure why I didn't share from those books. I guess I wasn't sure whether I had already shared them in previous years as I reread those books a lot. 

Anyway, I found a couple of new books to read. And then the Christmas gift my husband bought for me finally arrived, and I got to add another book to my reading pile.


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Story Thieves by James Riley.

"Owen wanted to scream at the horror before him. But the sound wouldn't come and the nightmare only continued, forcing Owen to ask himself, deep down, one question."

Well, that was an interesting first couple of sentences, getting the reader all set for some sort of real horror, which ended up being nothing more than a student being bored in class. To me, it seemed a little overdone, but I guess that was in preparation of how this main character was going to be throughout the book.

And here is my book beginnings for The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer.

"Today's errand had become routine for the woman who was currently calling herself Chris Taylor. She'd gotten up much earlier than she liked, then dismantled and stowed her usual nighttime precautions. It was a real pain to set everything up in the evening only to take it down first thing in the morning, but it wasn't worth her life to indulge in a moment of laziness."

Quite a bit of mystery and the hint of danger and suspense in those three sentences. I admit, it caught my interest immediately. 

I actually shared my Book Beginnings and Friday 56 for I am Number Four a year and a half ago, but the Book Beginning was from the Prologue, so today I will share from chapter one, and choose a different passage to share for the Friday 56.

So, here is my book beginnings for I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

"In the beginning there were nine of us. We left when we were young, almost too young to remember. Almost."

I can't remember my first reaction to this beginning, but I know I was quite intrigued, and now I just love this whole series.
Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

 Story Thieves by James Riley

"From across the room and just out of Dr. Verity's sight, Bethany's eyes went wide with terror, and she frantically motioned for Owen to stay still."

The Chemist by Stephenie Meyer

"It was like he was helping her, like he was on her side. He was right beside the window, looking out, standing tall, with the wavy hair very much in evidence."

I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

"Inside, the halls are bustling with activity, students loitering at lockers, talking, laughing. A few look at me and whisper. I don't know whether it's because of the confrontation or because of the darkroom. It's likely that they are whispering about both."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!