Sunday, October 6, 2024

Over the Edge by Irene Hannon Review

 


Another awesome, un-put-downable book in the Undaunted Courage series by Irene Hannon. I loved Over the Edge just as much, or more than, Into the Fire. Each book in the series is focusing on one of three siblings. We were introduced to the main male character, Jack Tucker, in the first book. In this second book, he is the police detective handling the murder case that our main female character, Lindsey Barnes finds herself an unexpected witness to. The only witness. The witness who it appears the killer may just be trying to undermine the credibility of through a series of events that make her question her own sanity. 

Stories where someone is being accused of something they didn't do really grab my attention, and Lindsey being set up to look insane falls into that category. I needed to see her vindicated as well as see the murderer brought to justice for the original killing. For the last half of the book I could not put down my phone, but kept swiping page after page just so I could figure out exactly who the killer was. The author had included so many twists and turns with multiple suspects that I needed to have answers. And of course, there was quite a bit of suspense as well, with quite a bit of tense detail, especially moving toward the climax.

Then add in the romance, because you know, it is a romantic suspense book after all. I needed to know how Lindsey and Jack were going to get past the obstacles to their relationship. From their first meeting at the scene of the crime, it was clear there was some sort of animosity, though they had never actually met. I loved getting into their backgrounds to discover what the issues were. 

Both characters were Christians who were strong in their faith, but were also working through past traumas. 

As she did in the previous book, the author definitely caught me by surprise with the reveal, though I had at one point been leaning toward possibly thinking certain people were involved, but then had changed my mind. There was a satisfying conclusion to the case, and the author didn't leave any loose ends. And I loved that we got an epilogue to show where our characters were at in their relationship, along with an update of the main characters from book one. 

Yes, I do recommend reading Into the Fire before this book. Though each story does stand alone, the characters carry over, so you will have some spoilers when it comes to their relationships. And you get more of a background on the siblings in book one. If that doesn't bother you, then book two could be read as a stand alone. 

I highly recommend this book

I received an e-copy of this book through NetGalley and was not required to write a favorable review. These are my own honest thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!