Friday, August 24, 2018

Friday Fun - August 24th, 2018

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

I finished the first three books in the Keeper of the Lost Cities series by Shannon Messenger again. Now we are waiting for books 4, 5, and 6 to become available through interlibrary loan. It may be a couple of weeks. So, I read a book I had been wanting to read for a while, but we had to wait until we finished the Kane Chronicles by Rick Riordan as the events in the book take place after the events in that series, and the events in the first two Percy Jackson series. That book is Demigods & Magicians: Percy and Annabeth Meet the Kanes. This book is a compilation of three crossover stories, which is really cool. I'll be posting my review on my Fun Fiction Friday over on Tots and Me...Growing Up Together. I also decided to reread The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer. I actually reviewed this book last summer, but I never got to any of the sequels. My daughter is now ahead of me in this series, and I figured I'd catch up while waiting for the next Keeper of the Lost Cities books. 

I'm going to be sharing my Book Beginnings and Friday 56 for the following three books:


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Keeper of the Lost Cities: Everblaze by Shannon Messenger

The last time I shared my Book Beginnings for this book, I took it from the Preface. This time it is from chapter 1.

"'What are you waiting for?' Keefe shouted over the howling wind and the roaring sea. 'Don't tell be the great Sophie Foster is afraid.'"

I admit, I had to wonder why Sophie was afraid and what these two were up to.

And here is my Book Beginnings for The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer



Again, I did already share a Book Beginnings for this book. Last year. However, it was also from the prologue, so I figured I would share one from chapter 1 this time around.

'"'Once upon a time. . .' Mrs. Peters said to her sixth-grade class. 'These are the most magical words our world has ever known and the gateway into the greatest stories ever told.'" 

A great beginning to this magical series, especially in light of the prologue. 

Finally, here is my Book Beginnings for Demigods & Magicians: Percy and Annabeth Meet the Kanes by Rick Riordan.

"Getting eaten by a giant crocodile was bad enough. The kid with the glowing sword only made my day worse."

Well, that sure was a way to grab the reader's attention. As someone who had read the Kane Chronicles and the Percy Jackson books, it was obvious that Carter Kane and Percy were meeting, but such interesting circumstances to be meeting over. I couldn't wait to keep reading this one.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections. 

Keeper of the Lost Cities Everblaze by Shannon Messenger

"Thunder crashed as the sky split, and Sophie and Keefe tumbled across a patch of sunlit grass, coming to a stop on the path leading up to Everglen"

The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell by Chris Colfer

"'She told them all about her recent trips, the difficulties she and her friends experienced getting into and out of places, and all the interesting people she had met along the way."

Demigods & Magicians: Percy and Annabeth Meet the Kanes by Rick Riordan

"The platform was strangely empty, but a flash of light by the exit stairwell caught Annabeth's eye. A young blond girl in white clothes was swinging a wooden staff, trying to hit a strange animal that weaved around her legs, barking angrily."

1 comment:

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!