Saturday, August 11, 2018

Friday Fun (on Saturday) - August 11th, 2018

Welcome to my Friday Fun post, a day late. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Friday and the Friday 56.

I still have a bunch of books out from the library. Last week I had every intention of reading at least one new book. And I did start one, I chose House of Dark Shadows by Robert Liparulo. However, I was still in "obsessed-mode" with the Keeper of the Lost Cities series by Shannon Messenger, so I borrowed the first book from my daughter and we took turns reading it. I am now on book two for the second time, Keeper of the Lost Cities: Exile. I am also not sad anymore about having to wait so long for the seventh book. My husband let me pre-order the limited collectors edition of Keeper of the Lost Cities: Flashback. Still have to wait for November, but that is a lot better than having no clue when I would have been able to get it from the library.

So, seeing as I didn't start back up with these Friday Fun posts until I was past the first two books of the series, I will share those this week.




Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

From the Preface:

"Blurry, fractured memories swam through Sophie's mind, but she couldn't piece them together. She tried opening her eyes and found only darkness."

The little peek from the Preface caught my attention a lot more than the first paragraph of chapter 1.

"'Miss Foster!' Mr. Sweeney's nasal voice cut through Sophie's blaring music as he yanked her earbuds out by the cords. 'Have you decided that you're too smart to pay attention to this information?'"

I wasn't sure what to think of Sophie at first, but I am so glad I gave this series a chance. It is one of my favorites now. It helped that the reader learns quite quickly why Sophie was listening to her music instead of paying attention.

And here is my book beginnings for Keeper of the Lost Cities: Exile by Shannon Messenger

First from the Preface

"Sophie's hands shook as she lifted the tiny green bottle. One swallow held life and death -- and not just for her.

Now that little peek was quite intriguing. I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but it sounded like there was going to be quite a hard decision for her to make. But why? 

And from Chapter 1

'"I still can't believe we're tracking Bigfoot,' Sophie whispered as she stared at the giant footprint in the muddy soil. Each massive toe was as wide as her arm, and the print formed a deep, mucky puddle." 

Sounded like fun.  

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections. 

Keeper of the Lost Cities by Shannon Messenger

"She peeled her eyes away from the strange scene as Alden led her out of the garden to a meadow with a house in the center, one so large, so elegant, she couldn't believe anyone could call it 'home.' Part castle, part manor, it was made almost entirely of intricately cut crystal, and among the numerous turrets and gables rose a tower that resembled a lighthouse."



Keeper of the Lost Cities:Exile by Shannon Messenger

"'You don't have to come today, ' he told Sophie after a second. 'It's not an easy thing to do--'
'I know,' She wrapped her arms around him, wishing she could squeeze away the sadness in his voice. 'But I want to come.'"

2 comments:

  1. Both books sounds good. I'll have to check the series out! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, these look fun! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!