Friday, June 10, 2022

Friday Fun - June 10th, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

I started Bookshop by the Sea by Denise Hunter for one of my challenges from the 75 book challenge. It was published in my birth month. I had wanted to read it in April, but never got to it. As it is due back at the library, I figured it was time to read it. I'm enjoying it so far.


I read Cast the First Stone by David James Warren for one of my June challenges. I needed a book about some kind of travel. This book is about time travel, so it counted.


I zinged right through the first book in The True Lies of Rembrandt Stone series and grabbed the second book for my KU. It's titled, No Unturned Stone. I finished it in less than two days, and am getting ready to read book 3. 


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Bookshop by the Sea by Denise Hunter.

"Eleven months had not been long enough to prepare Sophie Lawson for the sight of him. Presently, Aiden Maddox sauntered into the Dock House like he owned the place, the din in the restaurant rising at his arrival."

Well, she definitely wasn't a fan of Aiden showing up, though she knew it was inevitable. Love the use of the words "sauntered" and "din." Definitely made me think she was not happy. 

And here is my book beginnings for Cast the First Stone by David James Warren.

"It's the regrets that keep me awake.
The broken hearts, the lives ripped apart. The bitter finales.
The sense that, frankly, it's not finished."

I'm seeing despair and wondering if things will be able to look up for Rembrandt Stone. 

And here is my book beginnings for No Unturned Stone also by David James Warren.

"Just try and outrun your demons, I dare you. 
I sit in my daughter's upstairs bedroom, in my half-remodeled craftsman, the morning bright against the window, holding a black teddy bear in my shaking hands."

Knowing how the first book ended, it was so devastating to see Rembrandt having to deal with what had happened, and I wanted to know how things would be fixed, if they were going to be able to. I was glad to see that the second book started off right after the first book ended.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Bookshop by the Sea by Denise Hunter 

"She'd been hit or miss while caring for her mother. And even afterward. Come to think of it, her prayer life hadn't been anything to write home about lately either. Maybe once her shop was up and running, it would be time to get back to some good habits." 

Cast the First Stone by David James Warren

"'Are you kidding me? The guy keeps a diary of his first year of training, tells a few precinct secrets and you're a fan?' He met her eyes. 'There's more to Rembrandt than we know. You can't trust him-he plays by his own rules."

No Unturned Stone by David James Warren

"Honey, I'm coming home.
I turn on the radio, and my gaze falls on the file folder from last night. The Mulligan file. I shove it into my satchel to look at later, and pull out, heading downtown."

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed Bookshop by the Sea. I have not read Cast the First Stone. I bought the series for my son but he didn't like it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating that the True Lies series is written by multiple authors. I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bookshop by the Sea sounds lovely!!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!