Friday, June 24, 2022

Friday Fun - June 24th, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

Back in April I had read the first novella in this collection from the River of Time series by Lisa T. Bergren. This week I read the second novella Tributary so I could go on to read the final book, Deluge for one of my challenges. I ended up choosing a different book for my challenge (see below), but I will read Deluge soon.


I realized the book I chose for the Eating Our Words challenge would also work for the Around the World: Unlocking the Past challenge. Counted With the Stars by Connilyn Cossette is biblical fiction, which is a genre I don't usually read, plus it takes place in the Mediterranean.


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Tributary by Lisa T. Bergren.

"She was gaining on him. She leaned hard, pulling on the reins, leaning around a giant oak to pick up his trail again. There! She glimpsed his brown, furry rump, the speck of hooves as the boar dived into the bramble, hoping to lose her."

First I was wondering who "she" was referring to, because all the previous stories have been told in first person by Gabi or Lia. And then I was wondering who this person was gaining on and why. To learn this was a hunt, was intriguing and I wanted to know how it was going to play into the story.. 

And here is my book beginnings for Counted With the Stars by Connilyn Cossette.

"My sandals have not crossed this threshold since I was ten. 
Inhaling, I focused on the Eye of Horus woven into the papyrus mat beneath my feet. After summoning an infusion of courage from its steady gave, I lifted my chin and entered my father's chambers."

The biggest question I had was, why did she seem so concerned to be entering her father's chambers. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Tributary by Lisa T. Bergren
 
". . . they all stared solely at their opponent, awaiting their captain's command. Thirty knights. Clearly, Castello Forelli was still on guard, despite the truce. Or had Lord Forelli brought in more, in light of her arrival?" 

Counted With the Stars by Connilyn Cossette

"'Let me assure you.' He shouted above the melee, his expression losing its careful composition. 'Our gods are pleased. It is a natural occurrence. Unusual, but natural. Our histories bear witness to red waters and tides from time to time.'"

2 comments:

  1. I've read a couple of Bergren books (and loved them!) but not this series - it looks so good! I've read Counted With The Stars and the rest of that series and it's wonderful! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both sound good to me!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!