Friday, July 15, 2022

Friday Fun - July 15, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

I read The Fifth Avenue Story Society by Rachel Hauck for one of my challenges for July. I needed a book I borrowed from the library that had to do with a library. Earlier this year I had read The Writing Desk for another challenge and knew I wanted to read this book as well, as even though it is a stand alone book, it does follow The Writing Desk. I decided to wait until July so it would fulfill this challenge. 


I also read  Night Fall by Nancy Mehl. This book wasn't for any of my challenges. I have wanted to read it since it's release last year, but I knew it was going to be part of a series, so I decided to wait. The third book just released recently, so I thought this was as good a time as ever to get started. I loved her Kaely Quinn Profiler series so was sure I would enjoy this series. 


As soon as I finished Night Fall, I picked up Dead Fall by Nancy Mehl and could not put it down. I finished it in a day and a half. 


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for The Fifth Avenue Story Society by Rachel Hauck.

"Well this was a fine mess. Spending the night in Central Booking for instigating a fight at a wedding reception. What was he thinking?"

Well, that's quite the introduction to one of the main characters of this story. I had to know what he'd done to get himself in trouble. 

And here is my book beginnings for Night Fall by Nancy Mehl.

"His mother sat in the chair next to his bed, reading from The Book. He was almost twelve now, and she'd been reading it to him ever since he was a little kid.
Adam hated it. It scared him."

At first it appeared as if this was a loving mother reading a favorite book to a child. Though not quite. But the second paragraph showed that it was definitely not the case, and I wondered what in the world she was reading to her son.

And my book beginnings for Dead Fall also by Nancy Mehl

"John Davis turned up the collar on his jacket as he swiftly walked away from the shrill voices bleeding through from the hotel banquet hall behind him. March certainly wasn't going out like a lamb. This last blast of cold weather was intense."

Well the first paragraph didn't really say much about what was going to happen, we got some great descriptions of where John Davis had been and what the weather was like and what time of year it was. Plus, I was curious why he appeared to be in a rush. I did wonder if he was the "BAU cofounder" that the synopsis on the back cover said would be "discovered dead." Or was he the murderer? Hmm. Luckily I didn't have long to find out.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

The Fifth Avenue Story Society by Rachel Hauck
 
"You're killing me here. Apply already. And text Dad. See what he says. You know he thinks you have a great business mind." 

Night Fall by Nancy Mehl

"'You know my aunt. She might be crazy, but she's not dangerous.' As soon as she'd finished speaking, the memory she'd recovered popped into her mind again. It made her feel cold inside. How could she have forgotten that for so many years?"

Dead Fall by Nancy Mehl

"'You have a problem with germs, don't you?' Kaely asked gently. 'As I'm sure you know, that's usually a side effect of trauma. An effort to control your surrounding.'
'Yes, I know, thanks.' Alex realized she sounded a little snippy, but Kaely wasn't the only behavioral analyst in the room."

4 comments:

  1. I would love to read the Rachel Hauck book - it's been on my list for awhile now. Great opener to that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all sound good but I know Racheal Hauck's book is on my radar! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Rachel Hauck! I am going to be reading Nancy's series soon!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!