Friday, July 22, 2022

Friday Fun - July 22, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

Last week I mentioned how I read The Fifth Avenue Story Society by Rachel Hauck. This week I'm reading The Love Letter, also by Rachel Hauck. I needed a book set during the Revolutionary War for another of my challenges. This book is a dual timeline story about a love letter that was written but never sent, and that love letter being used in current times for the inspiration of a movie script written by a descendant of the writer of the love letter. 


I also read  Living Lies by Natalie Walters. This is my first book by this author. Her newest book was recommended in a newsletter by Jaime Jo Wright, one of my favorite authors. And I am going to be reading that for another one of my challenges. This book happily met one of my summer reading challenges, reading a book with a green cover. 



Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for The Love Letter by Rachel Hauck.

"He must finish. He must. Stumbling, he fell to the damp earth of the maple swamp with the click-slap of musket fire ringing through the cold dew, his breath billowing."

What was it he had to finish? Possibly the love letter. Had to keep reading to find out and then find out what happened to this couple.

And here is my book beginnings for Living Lies by Natalie Walters.

"Just let go.
The breeze lifted Lane Kent's auburn hair from the back of her neck. Her heels edged closer to the side of the bridge, sending loose rocks and dust spiraling into the Ogeechee River below."

Oh no, what's going on here. Was Lane really contemplating suicide? I almost hesitated as we have been dealing with some mental health issues in our family. But, I wanted to know what was going on.  I will add, that I really appreciated the way Lane's depression and mental health were shared in the book, and I'm very glad I kept going.


Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

The Love Letter by Rachel Hauck
 
"'Come on, it's better from the inside,' Jesse gently tapped her arm, the fragrance of warm dough, bubbling cheese, and hot tomato sauce luring her forward." 

Living Lies by Natalie Walters

"The timer on the oven went off and her mother grabbed a pair of oven mitts and pulled out a fresh cobbler. After setting it down on the giant granite island, she tapped her finger gently against the golden crust. It looked perfect, but Lane knew it could never compare to Ms. Byrdie's"

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed both of these books! I hope you do as well. Have a great weekend! https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/07/first-line-friday-56-claim-of-her-own.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad Living Lies turned out fine. I hope you enjoy both of your reads, they sound interesting. Enjoy your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how both books sound! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!