Friday, August 12, 2022

Friday Fun - August 12, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

I am so excited to be on the launch team for Carrie Stuart Parks' new book, Fallout. I'm currently reading the ARC and loving it.


I read The Souls of Lost Lake by Jaime Jo Wright and let me tell you, it was an awesome book, though a bit more creepy than the other books I have read by her. If you like creepy with suspense and mystery, you have got to read Jaime Jo Wright's books.


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Fallout by Carrie Stuart Parks.

"The November wind blew across the almost-barren plain, attempting to leach any warmth from the man's black wool coat. He pulled the woolen balaclava higher on his nose and wished he'd worn goggles."

I had no idea what this man was doing out in the freezing cold, but I had my suspicions he might be the bad guy in this story. I couldn't wait to find out if I was right.

And here is my book beginnings for The Souls of Lost Lake by Jaime Jo Wright

"Campfires were meant to be places of shadows. In between the flickering light of orange-and-blue hues, raging white centers, and filmy smoke tendrils lingered the dark places. In these places hid the stories that flavored the tongue of every storyteller, tightened the chest of every listener, and perked the ears of the most afraid."

Was loving the picture being set for the creepy campfire story, wonderful details.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Fallout by Carrie Stuart Parks
 
"'I guess whoever took your keys let themselves into your apartment and left all the water running. After they plugged the drains. Part of the ceiling in the apartment below yours collapsed. Water's everywhere, in the hall, running down the stairs, it's a mess.'" 

The Souls of Lost Lake by Jaime Jo Wright

"The elderly lady didn't stop there. She took a few steps into the room and eyes the mirror for cracks. 'She didn't go to prison for it either. Guess it's hard to prove a woman can wield an ax as well as a man.' A little chuckle, and then the brown eyes rested on Ava again."

1 comment:

  1. Both sounds incredibly interesting and fast-paced! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!