Saturday, August 27, 2022

Friday Fun - August 26, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

The library finally got Free Fall by Nancy Mehl in. I've had it on hold for a while. This is the third book in the Quantico Files series. I actually set my other book aside and read this book in less than 24 hours.


I also read In Search of a Prince by Toni Shiloh. This is my first book by this author, and it sure won't be my last. What an awesome book. I fell in love with the cover when everyone in my one Facebook group kept sharing it and raving about it. But, I don't just grab up books because I love the cover. In fact, most of the time I don't pay much attention to the cover. I just loved what I had heard about the book, and how it had a "Princess Diaries" type storyline, yet it was it's own story. 


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Free Fall by Nancy Mehl.

"The screams of people buckled into rides designed to either terrify or thrill them rang out in the darkness. Walking through the park had always energized him. And tonight, as the rides spun, colorful lights flashed, and tinny music swirled, he once again breathed in the aromas of buttered popcorn, steaming hot dogs, and sweet cotton candy."

Knowing this was a suspense book, the first few words grabbed me, and then it was like, oh, okay, we are at the fair and that's the kind of screams we are talking about. But, knowing the rest of the series, I was anticipating finding out more about the villain in this prologue.

And here is my book beginnings for In Search of a Prince by Toni Shiloh

"'Your Majesty, I am afraid the news is not good.'
Tiwa Jimoh Adebayo, king of Oloro Ile Ijoba of Africa, closed his eyes and lowered his chin to his chest. But even that slight movement was enough to bring a cough to his lips."

Sadly, I knew from the back cover that the king was not doing well, which is the whole premise of his daughter finding out she is a princess. I just wasn't aware the book was going to start from his point of view. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Free Fall by Nancy Mehl
 
"But then she remembered that a man had decided he had the right to take her against her will. Anger overcame fear, and she pushed the last lazy tendrils of slumber from her consciousness. Struggling to pull herself into a sitting position, she acclimated herself to her surrounding. She was in the same room." 

In Search of a Prince by Toni Shiloh

"Staff had unpacked my suitcase, placed my clothes in an espresso-finished dresser drawer, and hung others in the walk-in closet. There was an espresso-colored wardrobe in the closet, which held my evening gown. Although Oloro Ile was thousands of miles from England, I still checked the back of it for portals leading to other worlds."
Sadly, there was no gateway."


2 comments:

  1. Free Fall sounds amazing!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell in love with the cover of In Search of a Prince too, but I'm not reading it (yet!). Love the opening lines and the 56 you shared from it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!