Friday, September 29, 2023

Friday Fun - September 29, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have two books to share with you. 

I just finished reading Blood of Adam by Rachel S. Neal. I read it for a few of my reading challenges. It was one of twelve books recommended for me to read this year. It is a book that is weather themed, though most of the book is in preparation for the upcoming storms and flood. Plus the book was published in 2012.


I am currently reading The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis. This book is also for a few reading challenges. I needed a book published before 2000 plus a book that was a classic I have never read. Additionally, this book works for the Read Your Bookshelf challenge as I needed a book where one of the words from page 50 of last month's challenge was in the title. That word was "horse."


              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my Book Beginnings for Blood of Adam by Rachel S. Neal:

"Denah hoisted her bridal garments and sidestepped a manure pile."

Bridal and manure pile don't really seem to fit together. So, I was wondering where Denah was headed.

And here is my Book Beginnings for The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis:

"This is the story of an adventure that happened in Narnia and Calormen and the lands between, in the Golden Age when Peter was High King in Narnia and his brother and his two sisters were King and Queens under him."

I hadn't realized this book took place when the kids from The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe were reigning as kings and queens. Cool. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Blood of Adam by Rachel S. Neal:
 
"The woman kept hold of Eran's hand, her jowls oscillating as she shook her head. 'You shame your husband with your empty womb. How soon will he tire of you and take another wife to bring him heirs?'"

The Horse and His Boy by C.S. Lewis:

"At every turn Shasta hoped they were getting out of the crowd, but they never did. This made their progress very slow, and every now and then they had to stop altogether."

Reviews:

Last week I shared two books in my Friday Fun post. If you'd like to read the reviews of those books, I invite you to click on the links below:


2 comments:

  1. The Horse and the Boy brings back memories from my childhood when I read the Chronicles of Narnia. Thank you for sharing excerpts from both of these books! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been so long since I've read the Narnia books. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!