Tuesday, July 25, 2023

The Bookshop of Secrets by Mollie Rushmeyer Review

 


I loved this story. I was drawn to it because it features a bookshop. Not just one either. As Hope has dreams to have a mobile food and book truck. I was drawn right into the story from the first page and the book wouldn't let go. I was glad we were headed on vacation so I could read and read and read. This book is full of adventure, and harrowing experiences, suspense, secrets, mystery, relationships, misunderstandings, books, food that connects to books, finding oneself and relationships with Christ.

The book is told from two viewpoints, that of Hope and that of Ronan, the grandson of the elderly couple who own the used bookstore. And I just have to mention, I LOVE the name of the bookstore, Dusty Jackets. Both of the main characters have issues they are working through. I love the way they work together to find her missing books, and I love seeing their relationship evolve.

As the story progresses we learn more about each of their pasts. I think this was done very well, especially with Hope as there is a lot of trauma in her past.

And I love the way the author wove Christian truths into the story.

I just wanted to share a couple of quotes that really touched me.

"'What others would say is no longer useful, broken and ugly, I see as capable of producing something beautiful.' She grunted a laugh. 'It used to embarrass my kids. They called me a pack rat.'"

"'We might think we're too damaged to come to Him. That we're forgotten, cast aside. But He can make something beautiful out of the broken places of our lives. Even the most desperate places inside of us just need light in order to heal and grow.'"

I love that Hope had people who were able to share these truths with her.

And there are also some really humorous parts.

"'I mean, if that antiques guy gives you trouble again about your books, we can always sic an angsty teen on him. I've heard the rolling-eye death stare can be fatal.'"

The Bookshop of Secrets is a book I highly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!