Sunday, March 31, 2024

When the Flames Ravaged by Rhonda Dragomir Review

 


When the Flames Ravaged by Rhonda Dragomir is an awesome yet heart wrenching story about the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus fire that occured in Hartford, Connecticut on July 6, 1944. I'd never heard of this horrendous circus fire, but thanks to the author, this event, and it's aftermath, was brought to life. 

Evelyn Benson is a war widow who lives with her brother and his family while helping to pay the bills by working as a waitress. Hank is living the life as a circus clown in the Ringling Brothers circus to attempt to remain hidden from something in his past. 

Both of their lives are drastically altered after the fire. During this time, Hank desires a relationship with Evelyn, but with so many secrets in his past, will it ever work out? 

Both also are on a spiritual journey, struggling with questions of why God would allow such suffering in their lives.  I loved their individual growth and how it affected their relationship with each other. And I loved the spiritual truths shared. I loved this passage, "A mental picture floated into Evelyn's mind on wings of a dove, seeing herself seated in God's lap in much the same way. She could almost feel HIs embrace, snug and comforting. She leaned into it with a new understanding. Evenlyn was but a child in the universe God created. She'd never receive the answers to her questions when her capacity to understand was limited by her humanity. Evelyn would have to demonstrate to God the same trust Lily had placed in her-to guide her safely through life's circumstances, no matter how inexplicable or how much they contradicted her belief in a loving, powerful God."

What really kept me swiping through the pages of my book was the anticipation of needing to know what the status was of certain family members after the devastating fire. Following their journey to reunite with loved ones. Not knowing if loved ones were alive and missing or deceased. So emotional knowing this was based on a true event. The author truly had me in tears as I read these stories of fictional people, knowing they were based on reality. Though, I will say, some of my tears were happy tears. Such an emotional story. 

I loved this book, and cant wait to read more by this author.

I received an e-copy of this book through NetGalley and was not required to write a favorable review. These are my own honest thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!