Monday, April 1, 2024

Reading Challenges 2024: February Update

I'm quite late, but here is what I read for my challenges in February:


For the challenge in the Avid Readers of Christian Fiction FB group I needed a book that was a historical romance. I was on the launch team for  The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel, and it fit the prompt perfectly.


For the challenge over at Crystal Caudill's blog, I read quite a few books that fit the February challenge. Reverence in the Wilderness by Andrea Byrd, The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel, Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower, The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep, and The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond all had a rural setting. Plus Fatal Witness by Patricia Bradley and Embers in the London Sky by Sarah Sundin involved a major life change/move.


For the challenge in the Eating Our Words FB group I read Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower for my February book. With this challenge, we can choose to read the book IN the month, or any time of the year, OR we can do both. So, like last year, I am choosing to try both. 
The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel works for July. 


For the challenge in The Posse FB group, I read The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond by Jamie Jo Wright as it is a dual time line novel. 
I chose to start the Read Your Bookshelf challenge from Chantel Reads All Day with the Arthur Conan Doyle side of the flow chart. At the beginning of the month I finished The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson for January. For February I read an ARC of Reverence in the Wilderness by Andrea Byrd.



I really enjoyed The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep, which was the February book in the Between the Pages FB group challenge/book discussion.

One of the authors I follow, Malissa Chapin, is also doing a challenge on her FB page, Malissa Chapin's Merry Band of Book Lovers:


I read my February book in January. And this month I read Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower which will work for March.  


I read several books that worked for February's challenge in the Faith Filled Fiction group. 
The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel, Reverence in the Wilderness by Andrea Byrd, The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep, and One Wrong Move by Dani Pettrey.


For the Literary Escapes Challenge here is what I read in each month. 

In January I read books set in the following states:

Alaska: 26 Below by Kimberley Woodhouse 
Arkansas: Trust the Stars by Tricia Goyer
Illinois: Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kinzer 
Missouri: The Divine Proverb of Streusel by Sara Brunsvold
Oregon: Huband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong
South Carolina: Fragile Designs by Colleen Coble 
Wyoming:  Fake Relationship at the Triple Z by Cali Black 

And I traveled to England with If I Were You by Lynn Austin

In February I read books set in the following states:

Kentucky: Reverence in the Wilderness by Andrea Byrd 
New Mexico: One Wrong Move by Dani Pettrey
Ohio: Assaulted Caramel by Ameanda Flower 
Tenessee: Fatal Witness by Patricia Bradley
Wisconsin: The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond by Jaime Jo Wright

And I traveled to Ireland with The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel



Here is what I've read for the Alphabet Soup Challenge:

January: 

D: Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kinzer, The Divine Proverb of Streusel by Sara Brunsvold
F: Fragile Designs by Colleen Coble, Fake Relationship at the Triple Z by Cali Black 
H: Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong 
I: If I Were You by Lynn Austin 
T: Trust the Stars by Tricia Goyer
U: An Uncertain Road by Abbey Downey 

February: 

A: Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower 
C: The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson and The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep
E: Embers in the London Sky by Sarah Sundin
O: One Wrong Move by Dani Pettrey
R: Reverence in the Wilderness by Andrea Byrd and The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond by Jaime Jo Wright


Here's what I've read for the 2024 European Reading Challenge from Rose City Reader. 

In January I read a book set in the following European country:

England: If I Were You by Lynn Austin 

In February I read a book set in the following European country:

Ireland: The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel 

I also decided I was going to read one Christmas book each month

For January I started The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson; however, I haven't finished it yet.
In February I finished The Christmas Dog by Meloday Carlson, but I didn't read any other Christmas books.

Also, someone in my Avid Readers of Christian Fiction group again came up with a yearly book challenge. This year we have 50 prompts:

In January, 8 of the books I read fit this challenge
In Febrary, 9 of the books I read fit this challenge

Read a book...

  1. With a title that starts with a P

  2. By an author you’ve never tried before: Trust the Stars by Tricia Goyer

  3. Set on the coast

  4. With a tree on the cover: The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep

  5. By an author whose name starts with a J

  6. From a genre outside your comfort zone

  7. With an adverb in the title

  8. Featuring a character with grey hair

  9. That has won a Carol award: The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond by Jaime Jo Wright

  10. Published in 2024: 8 Down by Kimberley Woodhouse

  11. By a debut author

  12. Written by multiple authors

  13. With a green cover

  14. That is a bestseller

  15. Set on a boat, train, or plane

  16. With an illustrated cover: Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong

  17. With a main character who is disabled

  18. With a single mother or father: The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel

  19. Written by an indie author: Fake Relationship at the Triple Z by Cali Black

  20. Set somewhere you’ve been: If I Were You by Lynn Austin

  21. Featuring law enforcement: Fatal Witness by Patricia Bradley

  22. Published during the summer

  23. Set during a holiday: The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson

  24. That is considered women’s fiction 

  25. Featuring a Jewish character

  26. Set over 100 years ago: Reverence in the Wilderness by Andrea Byrd

  27. That contains bible verses

  28. With a teenager as a main character 

  29. With a one word title 

  30. A book you preordered

  31. With a solid colored cover

  32. By an author who writes with a pen name 

  33. That takes place in a national park 

  34. With a title that starts with an M

  35. By a male author

  36. That includes pirates

  37. By an author whose name starts with the letter T

  38. That has been made into a movie or television show 

  39. With forgiveness as a topic or theme: The Divine Proverb of Streusel by Sara Brunsvold

  40. Featuring a journalist: Embers in the London Sky by Sarah Sundin

  41. That includes sisters: Fragile Designs by Colleen Coble

  42. With a midwife or doula

  43. That takes place in a country you’ve never been to

  44. That is lighthearted or humorous: Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kinzer

  45. Set during WWII:

  46. That you choose because of the cover:

  47. By an author who writes multiple genres: 26 Below by Kimberley Woodhouse

  48. With a dual timeline 

  49. With a second chance romance

  50. Recommended by someone you know: Assaulted Caramel by Amanda Flower

Also, I joined in with a second yearly challenge last year in the Scripture Literature-You Are What You Read group. I just never added it to my blog post. So, this year I'm adding it here, though the post is going to be so long. LOL. 


In January, 8 of the books I read fit this challenge
In Febrary, 8 of the books I read fit this challenge

So, here it is:

1- Takes place in Israel

2- Second chance: An Uncertain Road by Abbey Downey

3- Not your usual genre

4- Significant church event

5- Well known author/lesser known book

6- Major motion picture

7- About an influential Christian

8- A Mysterious disappearance: Fatal Witness by Patricia Bradley

9- Speculative Fiction

10- Protagonist has a disease/disability: Embers in the London Sky by Sarah Sundin

11- Recommended by an author: The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep

12- Includes angels

13- An inheritance: Fragile Designs by Colleen Coble 

14- Finish what you started: 26 Below by Kimberley Woodhouse 

15- Carol Award winner: The Reckoning at Gossamer Pond by Jaime Jo Wright

16- A Spy

17- Forgiveness

18- Redemption

19-Less than 200 pages: The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson

20. Two or More Authors

21. By your Favorite Author

22. Male Protagonist

23. Recommended on this Page

24. Blended Families

25. Book of Devotions

26. Christian Literary Classic

27. Dystopian

28. Mistaken Identity: Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kinzer 

29. A Life Lesson: Husband Auditions by Angela Ruth Strong

30. Bible Retelling

31. The American Frontier: Reverence in the Wilderness by Andrea Byrd

32. Features Music

33. Recovering from Addiction

34. Gothic Romance

35. Eye Catching Cover: Trust the Stars by Tricia Goyer

36. Takes Place on an Island

37. Spiritual Warfare

38. Protagonist Shares your Occupation

39. Written by a Famous Christian

40. Family Estrangement: The Divine Proverb of Streusel by Sara Brunsvold 

41. Tear Jerker

42. Treasure Hunt

43. New to you Author

44. Mother-Daughter Bond

45. 2023 Best Seller

46. Title Includes a Color

47. Fairytale

48. On your TBR: One Wrong Move by Dani Pettrey

49. Alternate Reality

50. Written before 1950

51. Includes a Foreign Language: The Irish Matchmaker by Jennifer Deibel

52. Includes a Historical Monarch: If I Were You by Lynn Austin

53. Choose your own Adventure  

My Goodreads goal is to read 110 books this year. Last year I had set it at 100 and I ended up reading 122. So far this year I have read 19 books. 

Phew, I know this seems like a lot, even more than last year, but like last year, I hope to be able to combine challenges where possible. And with the yearly challenges, I read books for the other challenges and then see where they fit in the yearly challenge lists. Also, when I pick books for the monthly challenges, I will try to choose books that take place in different states or countries. Also, I'll probably prioritize the challenges I've been doing longer if I start struggling with keeping up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!