Wednesday, September 30, 2026

The Accident by A.M. Heath Review

 


The Accident by A.M. Heath is cute yet cautionary short novella written completely in text messages and journal entries. I thought this was such a unique idea and was very well done. Who would think you could tell a story successfully this way. But A.M. Heath did it. 

The story starts off with a text message from Chris to Danielle. Only he had texted the wrong person, a complete stranger, by mistake. And to make it even more complicated, it wasn't Danielle who answered the text. It was her teenaged daughter Ashlyn. Danielle wasn't well, and didn't notice that her daughter had been texting back and forth with this stranger. Thankfully this is not a suspense story (seeing as I could definitely see things heading south in a suspense story), and we see the texts going back and forth between Chris and Ashlyn, plus we see Ashlyn's journal entries which help to expand upon the story, with her feelings, with events that are happening, the struggles she is dealing with. 

The reader can see that their conversations are innocent, but woo-ee, watch out when the truth comes to light and Danielle realizes that her daughter was been texting a stranger. And when Chris realizes he's been texting a teenager thinking he was talking with an adult.Then things become even more interesting and complicated because Danielle is the one texting Chris and we get to see her point of view, and are only seeing Ashlyn's thoughts through the journal entries. 

I love how biblical truths are woven into this story, along with warnings when it comes to social media safety. 

This story was a quick read. I started it in the afternoon and finished it the next morning. Definitely a unique story and one I recommend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!