Friday, April 1, 2022

Friday Fun- April 1st, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I finished the third Holly novel by C.C. Warrens titled Crossed Off. Oh my what an intense book, but very very good. 


And I am currently trying to finish Keturah, the first book in The Sugar Baron's Daughters series by Lisa T. Bergren. 


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Crossed Off by C.C. Warrens.

"Ash drifted down around me like snowflakes from the night sky as I watched the women’s shelter smolder. It has been my safe haven for nearly a year after I fled to New York-a place for my body and spirit to heal-and now it was gone."

After the ending of book two, and the cliffhanger, I just had to start this book as soon as I could, even though I still had other books I needed to read for various challenges, and because I have books due back at the library. When I read this opening, it was like it had gone from one chapter to the next as opposed to another book. Starting off right after another chilling, devastating event in Holly's life. I felt so hollow for her, knowing what she had lost and wondering what all she would have to endure in this book. 

Here is my book beginnings for Keturah by Lisa T. Bergren.

"In the hopes that at least one would get through, their father had sent three copies of his last letter from the West Indies; as it happened, his daughters received them all."

From the back cover, I knew their father had passed away as the book was going to be about them going to the West Indies to save their heritage. I wasn't aware the book was going to start with them receiving word of his passing at the same time they were receiving his letters. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here is my Friday 56 selection.

Crossed Off by C.C. Warrens

"Marx held up a hand. 'That’s close enough. You need to keep your distance.' His tone was bland, like he was just going through the motions even though he didn’t expect the man to obey."

Keturah by Lisa T. Bergren

"She paused beside the captain. 'I refuse to dine with a man who threatens me and mine. Either you have control of your crew or you do not. Do you?' This she directed to the captain."

6 comments:

  1. Crossed Off looks intense! I read Keturah a few years ago and really liked it. It was different though, not the standard historical romance. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that the book is set in the West Indies. Historical fiction novel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the sounds of both, but surprisingly, I would choose the latter first. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED the Holly series!! It was SOOOOO good. I have Keturah but have not read it. I will be interested in what you think of it. Have a great weekend! Here is my post: https://cindysbookcorner.blogspot.com/2022/04/first-line-firiday-45-mulberry-hollow.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing! Happy reading and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!