Friday, May 13, 2022

Friday Fun - May 13th, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

In addition to the book I am currently reading for my one challenge this month, I have a few books I agreed to review in exchange for digital copies of the books. The first is the first book in the Storm & Spire series by Stefanie Lozinski. It's titled, Magnify


I'm also going to be reviewing a Christian dystopian story by Christina Cattane. Not only did I receive the second book which is coming out soon, but she also sent me a digital copy of the first book so I could be caught up with the story. It is called Lost in the Land of the Midnight Sun.


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Magnify by Stefanie Lozinski

"The spire stood at the center of the world, watching everything, presiding over the birth of babies and the death of old men.
Wes Cervos looked toward it, across the city of Whitespire, as he crested the craggy gray ridge. He should have been waiting for his two companions-a Witness by the name of Odrigh, this time from Galeharbor, and his own Deermaster-but he had gone on ahead."

I was intrigued. I love discovering new fantastical worlds, and this story caught my attention right away.

Here is my book beginnings for Lost in the Land of the Midnight Sun by Christina Cattane. This is from the prologue, which takes place 400 years before the story takes place.

"September 28, 2225
The wind raged against the waters of Redoubt Bay. The waves clashed with the wind, churning and foaming and throwing slush into the air. In the midst of the storm, a salmon trawler fought its way towards the mouth of the Drift River, tossed by the wind, deluged by the waves, and frozen from the elements.'"

I wasn't sure what exactly was going on with this beginning. I wasn't sure if this was what caused the world to be thrown into chaos or if this was how the world now was after some catastrophe. And then when I noticed the first chapter is 400 more years in the future, I was really confused. But I was intrigued and couldn't wait to see what was happening in this dystopian world. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Magnify by Stefanie Lozinski

"Some of the dwarves seem to be allying themselves with elves. The dragons no longer patrol the skies over Kaveryth. I could go on. Our world is in peril. On top of that, my own House hangs by a thread."

Lost in the Land of the Midnight Sun by Christina Cattane

"Angelica wished she could sink into the chair she was in and disappear. Was it possible she'd brought evil to these people? She had just assumed it was already here. In her visions they were coming from the south. What if the visions were just fancies of her imagination?'"

5 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnify looks interesting - and I love the cover. Dystopian novels are not really my thing though. Visiting from Book Beginnings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love fantasy and so does my hubby, so Magnify is niggling at my senses... lol... Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Magnify sounds right up my street, and what a timescale for the story. I love fantasy and don't read nearly enough.
    Cora | https://www.teapartyprincess.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!