Friday, May 20, 2022

Friday Fun - May 20th, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

I read my first book by the author Lynn H. Blackburn. It is the first book in the Defend and Protect series which is romantic suspense. It's titled, Unknown Threat. I found out after I already read this book, that it might be better to read her Dive Team Investigations series first because characters from that series do pop up in this series. So, yeah, they are on hold at the library. 


I'm currently reading the second book in the Defend and Protect series by Lynn H. Blackburn titled, Malicious Intent.


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Unknown Threat by Lynn H. Blackburn

"Luke Powell's head throbbed as he parked his sedan in the empty lot and glared into the nearby trees. The darkness had just begun the slow fade toward dawn, and the US Secret Service special agent could barely make out the trailhead. He used to love Mondays. There was nothing quite like tackling the week and showing it who was boss before the sun had a chance to reach the horizon.
He didn't love Mondays anymore, and he hated running alone."

Okay, why was he going to be running alone? What has happened? And was there a reason his head was throbbing? 

Here is my book beginnings for Malicious Intent also by Lynn Blackburn. 
 
"The stack of cash on his desk was as close to genuine currency as squeeze cheese was to Brie.
US Secret Service Special Agent Gil Dixon turned one of the fraudulent twenties over and studied the back. There were a few similarities to the real thing, but not enough to confuse anyone paying attention."

I was struck by the unique comparison of counterfeit money to squeeze cheese. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Unknown Threat by Lynn H. Blackburn

"Luke realized she didn't mention how frustrated she was with their lack of progress, which was not because they weren't working around the clock but because whoever had done this had done a good job of covering his tracks." 

Malicious Intent by Lynn H. Blackburn

"I'm good. So tired I don't think I'll have trouble sleeping. House is tight. System armed. I'll be sure Em has a weapon before she goes to bed. I'm sleeping on the sofa. We'll figure out the rest of it tomorrow, or later today."

4 comments:

  1. I like the writing in the quotes. To the library I go...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed both of these book and I hope you do too. I did not read the Dive series first (and still haven't). Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These both look like good reads! Have a great weekend and happy weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They both sound like page turners! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!