Friday, September 2, 2022

Friday Fun - September 2, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I read a bunch of books to finish off my summer reading challenge for my local library. I had to read a book that had been turned into a movie. So I read Hangman's Curse by Frank Peretti. It also counts for a book by a male author for my 75 book challenge. 



I also needed to read a book I had started but never finished. I chose to read Heartless by Marissa Meyer, which I had started reading last fall, but had to return before I finished it.


I also needed a book by a Pennsylvanian author. I chose to read Turtle Box Memories by Chandra Lynn Smith. I also counted this as my "beach read" for the 75 book challenge. 


And I needed a book that contained a recipe, so I read Raspberries and Vinegar by Valerie Comer. This also counted as a book with the enemies to lovers trope for the 75 book challenge. 


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Hangman's Curse by Frank Peretti.

"Baker High School quarterback Jim Boltz wiped his hands on his jersey, angrily this time. He'd almost fumbled the snap again, the third time in the first quarter. His hands were slick with sweat. They were shaking. He clenched them into fists."

So, why were his hands slick with sweat? Hmm 

And here is my book beginnings for Heartless by Marissa Meyer

"'Three luscious lemon tarts glistened up at Catherine. She reached her towel-wrapped hands into the oven, ignoring the heat that enveloped her arms and pressed against her cheeks, and lifted the tray from the hearth. The tarts' sunshine filling quivered, as if glad to be freed from the stone chamber."

I honestly can't remember what I thought about the beginning as I originally read it last fall. And by the time I reread it this month, I already knew what was going on.

And my book beginnings for Turtle Box Memories by Chandra Lynn Smith

"Kendra Michaels kicked off her flip flops and wiggled her toes in the grass. She dropped the clipboard beside the discarded sandals and leaned against the old mimosa tree."

She was getting comfy, but also appeared to be working, so maybe taking a break. Wondered what she was up to. 

And finally, my book beginnings for Raspberries and Vinegar by Valeria Comer

"Josephine Shaw gritted her teeth as she jerked the harvest-gold range forward on worn linoleum. there is was again. That incessant scratching could only be from one source. Mice."

Oh, ick, yuck. Mice in their home. Ick. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Hangman's Curse by Frank Peretti
 
"Nate crossed to the front door and pushed it open so a smiling panting golden retriever could come in, pulling along a well dressed businesswoman at the other end of his leash. Nate introduced the woman. 'Ms. Wyrthen, I'd like to introduce my wife, Sarah.'" 

Heartless by Marissa Meyer

"She remembered the shadow stretching across the castle lawn-the hooded, ax-wielding figure towering over her. She shuddered. 'No, it wasn't Raven. It was. . . I thought I saw. . . nothing.'"

Turtle Box Memories by Chandra Lynn Smith

"She wiped tears from her cheeks. Too many broken promises for one lifetime. Too many times someone she'd loved just left her. She turned the shell over in her hand."

Raspberries and Vinegar by Valerie Comer

"'We call it raspberry vinegar.' Mom took a sip herself. 'I learned how to make it years ago from an old neighbor who lived to be over a hundred before he passed on . Quite simple, and a way to stretch a summer treat year round.'"

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a good collection of books. I don't think I have read anything by Frank Peretti. I know my husband and son like his books though. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved Heartless and hope you do too! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!