Friday, January 20, 2023

Friday Fun - January 20, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have three books to share with you. 

I received Impending Strike by Sami A. Abrams/Lynette Eason for free to judge for the Selah Awards. Such a great book. And now I decided I really need to read the original Elite Guardians series by Lynette Eason, plus the rest of the Elite Guardians Collection. 
       

I'm also in the middle of Unplugged by Donna Freitas. This is a book that was chosen for me by the librarian for the Blind Date with a Book program back in December. My husband has also been reading it. This is probably not a book I would have chosen myself, but I am enjoying it so far. 


I also just started An Hour Unspent by Roseanna M. White. I read the first two books of the Shadows Over England series last year, and just couldn't find time to fit this book into my reading schedule. Thankfully it fit quite nicely into one of my reading challenges for January, as I needed a book set in a different country.


              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Impending Strike by Sami A. Abrams/Lynette Eason:

"Did the crazy girl want to get herself killed?
Elite Guardians Agency bodyguard Lizzie Tremaine parked her older model silver BMW out of eyeshot of the biker bar and hefted herself from the driver's seat."

The first sentence definitely grabbed my attention and then the second explained a bit more about what was going on, but there was so much more to learn. 

And here is my book beginnings for Unplugged by Donna Freitas:

"I'll never forget the day the news rang through the App World. 
It was early June and I was just another virtual girl, looking forward to unplugging on her seventeenth birthday. I couldn't wait to see my real family again, and decide if maybe, just maybe, the real me was worth hanging on to."

Okay, so, I had to know what news this was she was talking about. And of course, I wanted to find out more about how this virtual world vs real world worked. 

And finally, my book beginnings for An Hour Unspent by Roseanna M. White:

"Barclay Pearce shouldered his way through the mob, invisible. He'd learned over the years how to blend into any crowd, and this one was no different."

Finally! I'd been waiting so long to read this book that focuses on Barclay. But I was concerned about why he needed to be invisible, hoping he wasn't still a common thief. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Impending Strike by Sami A. Abrams/Lynette Eason:
 
"'Keep telling yourself that.' The crazy man would have been out of the car, or at least tried to be, if she'd hadn't hurried around. She scanned the neighborhood. Doubtful danger lurked around the corner, but Olivia had trusted Charlie's safety to her and Lizzie refused to take the job lightly. 'You ready?'"

Unplugged by Donna Freitas:

"The iron gate at the park's entrance creaked loudly as I opened it. Sometimes the effort to make the virtual seem realistic was too well done for my taste. The metal was heavy and cold in my hands and slightly electric. A faint current ran through me until I let go."

An Hour Unspent by Roseanna M. White:

"The tease in his voice made that coiled spring inside tighten a bit more, made her lips want to pull up again in response. Made her wonder how easy or difficult it might be to fit into a family like this."

3 comments:

  1. I can't read three fiction books at the same time, even if they are quite different from each other! I hope you enjoy all of these! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all sound good but Impending Strike appeals to me the most. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing! I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!