Friday, January 27, 2023

Friday Fun - January 27, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have two books to share with you. 

I am reading The Timepiece by Beverly Lewis for a couple of my challenges. I read the first book last year for one of my challenges, and never had a chance to read this one. 
       

I'm also reading A Divine Romance by Ifueko Ogbomo. I am on the launch team for this book, and it will be releasing on February 14th. 


              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for The Timepiece by Beverly Lewis:

"It was the last day of July, a sweltering Friday evening, and I took my sweet time heading back from the meadow where I had been walking , trying to make sense of the day. A day like no other. "

Sounded like this was just going to be a reminder of how book one ended. 

And here is my book beginnings for A Divine Romance by Ifueko Ogbomo:

"White.
It was the most beautifully bittersweet, unwanted yet beloved gift she had ever been bestowed. Fashioned from a fabric the purest of hues, she deemed it the loveliest raiment in all existence and one worthy of a queen. At least it was in her innocent eyes. Grasping two fistfuls of its pleated skirt, she buried her oval face in the delicate cloth, wanting to revive the unique scent of the garment’s rightful owner. But it was long gone."

I wondered what fabric she had been given and who the rightful owner was. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

The Timepiece by Beverly Lewis:
 
"'I know it's unsettling and will take some time to get used to, but it appears that Adeline's your father's flesh and blood.' Mamma opened the fridge yet again and set out two heads of chilled lettuce, some radishes, carrots, and tomatoes. 'And that makes Adeline yours, too, Sylvie.""

A Divine Romance by Ifeuko Ogbomo:

"When the paddles landed, she only saw one dark shade. It was the sight that had made her father curse moments ago, but in her case, it was a swift, impeccably timed answer to her desperate prayer. Not bothering to execute the winning gesture, she buried her face in her hands and heaved an audible sigh of relief."

6 comments:

  1. Lovely language in that Friday56 quote. Hope the rest of the book is as good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These both sounds compelling. I'd like to know more about both stories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They both sound good, for different reasons, but The Timepiece appeals to me most. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting that both teasers from A Divine Romance feature her "burying her face". That book does look interesting to me. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Divine Romance has a eye-catching cover, but Timepiece seems more my speed. Very different books so hope you enjoy both!
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/friday-memes-10

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!