Friday, June 2, 2023

Friday Fun - June 2, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have three books to share with you. 

I read an ARC of The Best Summer of Our Lives by Rachel Hauck as a member of the launch team. This book releases on June 27th. You can read my review here.
       

I read The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis for one of my reading challenges. I needed a book that was published before I was born.


I'm currently reading Miranda Warning by Heather Day Gilbert. This was one of twelve books recommended to me to read this year.


              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my Book Beginnings for The Best Summer of Our Lives by Rachel Hauck:

"The second Summer tumbled into Tumbleweed, Oklahoma, she'd arrived in the middle of the end."

That was a little confusing. 

And here is my Book Beginnings for The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis:

"This is a story about something that happened long ago when your grandfather was a child."

So, a long time ago, in a galaxy far away? (Just kidding) But thinking about the fact that C.S. Lewis wrote this in the 50's, this book took place quite a while ago.

Finally, here is my Book Beginnings for Miranda Warning by Heather Day Gilbert:

"I chose the day I would die."

Okay, I had to know what was going on. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

The Best Summer of Our Lives by Rachel Hauck:
 
"Laughing together was good, healing, almost like a pledge that the summer would be better than they imagined. Then they fell silent for a few minutes, listening to the wind in the trees, the hum of a chainsaw in the distance."

The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis:

"'Oh but don't you see it's no good' said Digory. 'We can't get out of it now. We shall always be wondering what else would have happened if we had struck the bell. I'm not going home to be driven mad by always thinking of that. No fear!'"

Miranda Warning by Heather Day Gilbert:

"'I went up there to poke around. And blamed if this book didn't fall right out in front of me! The very one I was thinking about.' She hands the thin green book to me. The True Meaning of Flowers runs up the spine. 'Is that what you wanted, Tess?'"

3 comments:

  1. C.S. Lewis wrote The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe first in the Chronicles of Narnia. I am a believer that it is best to read the books in the order in which he wrote them, not in chronological order. That makes the Magician's Nephew the sixth book in the series, not the first. If read in that order when you get to it's prequel in this book, you will spend the book going,"oh, that is how the lamp post got there." "Oh, that explains this, or that"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking forward to reading Rachel's newest book. Miranda Warning sounds great too! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel Hauck's book appeals to me!!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!