Thursday, October 12, 2023

Friday Fun - October 13, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have three books to share with you. 

I am currently reading The Cost of the Crown by Joy Crain. This is her debut novel and it just released a couple of weeks ago. Conveniently, it also works for a couple of my reading challenges. I needed a book with a red cover for one, and a book by an author from a different country.


I read Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti for one of my October reading challenges. I needed to re-read a book that I enjoyed long ago. I loved this book just as much as I did the first time, and it has been many years since I first read it. 


I am also currently reading The Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson. This book is also for a reading challenge. I need a book with a medieval setting.


              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my Book Beginnings for The Cost of the Crown by Joy Crain:

"William Hanson.
Missy's eyes widened."

Who is William Hanson? And why would Missy's eyes widen? Fear? Surprise? 

And here is my Book Beginnings for Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti:

"It could have begun in any town. Bacon's Corner was nothing special, just one of those little farming towns far from the interstate, nothing more than a small hollow dot on the AAA road map, with exit signs that offered gas, no lodging, maybe a little food if the place was open, and little more."

Having read the book years ago, I knew what was going to happen in this "nothing special" town. But, I loved reading about the AAA road map and realizing how old the book is. 

And finally, here is my Book Beginnings for The Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson:

"Pinnosa passed through the town square and cobblestone Marktplatz. Hagenheim Castle loomed straight ahead."

The use of the word "loomed" gave this beginning a bit of an ominous start. So what was it that Pinnosa was doing in the town square and was the castle her destination or just something looming over her?
Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

The Cost of the Crown by Joy Crain:
 
"Aiden nearly choked. He grabbed one of the teacups to wash down the lump of food that had caught in his throat. It burned going down. He glared at his brother, who smiled far too innocently."

Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti:

"'At any rate,' Santinelli continued, 'we have just recently learned that a plan was launched to have Sally Roe murdered, and, of course, to make it look like a suicide. Just whose idea was that?'"

The Fairest Beauty by Melanie Dickerson:

"She turned away from him, as though the conversation were a waste of her time, and went on with her task of dipping candles. She pretended to ignore him while her mind raced. If this man knew she was the duke's daughter, and if he forced the duchess's hand, Ermengard would kill them both."

Reviews:

Last week I shared two books in my Friday Fun post. If you'd like to read the reviews of those books, I invite you to click on the links below:

6 comments:

  1. My daughter loves fairy tale read a-likes. I will have to point her to your selections. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of these particular books before. I like all of the quotes. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never read any of these books. But fairy tales are always interesting. Have a wonderful day, Karen ☕๐Ÿ“š๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘ป๐Ÿงก

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not heard of Joy Crain, I hope you enjoy her book! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when a book holds up just as well in the re-reading. Piercing the Darkness sounds good! I love fairy tale retellings so The Fairest Beauty appeals to me, especially after reading the teasers you shared. Thank you for sharing! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the sound of 'Piercing the Darkness', so I'll have to look that one up! I sometimes reread books I loved before but I'm always a little hesitant in case I no longer love them and ruin the memory by rereading them xD I hope you have a lovely weekend :)
    Juli @ A Universe in Words

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!