Friday, December 29, 2023

Friday Fun - December 29, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with three different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays, the Friday 56, and First Line Friday.

This week I have four books to share with you.

I recently finished The Confession by Beverly Lewis. I chose to read this book for a couple of my reading challenges. This is a book I read quite a few years ago, back in the late 90's. I realized the author had a new book that was recently published that is a prequel to this series, so I needed to refresh my memory on what happened in the original trilogy. 


I'm currently reading Water from my Heart by Charles Martin. This is my first book by this author and I am also reading this for a couple of my challenges.

I'm also reading Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis. This is also for a reading challenge.


Finally, I am also reading A Persevering Heart by Lisa M. Prysock. Yes, this one is also for one of my reading challenges. I am trying really hard to get all my challenges finished.


        Book Beginnings on Friday     


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

and

First Line Friday


(Please join Carrie for First Line Friday.)


Here is my Book Beginnings/First Line Friday selection:

  The Confession by Beverly Lewis:

"I remember everything about my first glimpse of Cousin Lydia's kitchen."

I remembered from the first book that Katie, now Katherine, was fascinated by her cousins home because they were Mennonites and not Amish.

Water from my Heart by Charles Martin:

"I throttled down through Stiltsville, the reflection of the moon shimmering off Biscayne Bay."

I was confused at first at where exactly he was and what mode of transportation he was using. This was cleared up quickly.

Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis:

"Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy, and it has been told in another book called The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe how they had a remarkable adventure." 

I was so glad to see the four children from the first book.

A Persevering Heart by Lisa M. Prysock:

"Miss Pepper Anne Barrington gripped the steering wheel of her vintage, red Aston Martin convertible as she pointed the remote at the iron gates to her property."

Okay, so she has some money.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is normally hosted over at Freda's Voice. But Anne from My Head is Full of Books is taking over for a while. 

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

The Confession by Beverly Lewis:
 
"The tall, deep window was the same one where she'd pressed her fingertips on that sad, sad day just last month when Katie had come to see why she'd not attended Sunday preaching. Not being allowed to speak to her friend, the loving, yet agonizing gesture was all Mary knew to do, hoping against hope that Katie would see with her own eyes how very helpless she felt."

Water from my Heart by Charles Martin:

"The old man would never sell that coffee. And everyone knew that. We all knew it. That had been the goal the entire time. To leave that man sitting in a pile of his own coffee beans."

Prince Caspian by C.S. Lewis:

"After this, Caspian and his tutor had many more secret conversations on the top of the Great Tower, and at each conversation Caspian learned more about Old Narnia, so that thinking and dreaming about the old days, and longing that they might come back, filled nearly all his spare hours."

A Persevering Heart by Lisa M. Prysock

"Whoever it was, they'd apparently had no interest in the antique pocket watch, which led her to believe it might've been a woman who'd taken the watch. Maybe this particular woman hadn't much interest in keeping a man's pocket watch, so she'd decided to return it."

Reviews:

Last week I shared two books in my Friday Fun post. If you'd like to read my reviews, I invite you to click on the links below. 

4 comments:

  1. I love the whole Narnia series, though this last time I read through it I noticed some things about stereotypes which distressed me. I may not read through it again. Sigh.

    Happy New Year and thanks for participating in Friday56.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surprisingly, this is my first time reading the series. I tried once a while back and got through The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, plus I remember the first little bit of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, but I never finished it. I am quite enjoying it. Wasn't a huge fan of The Horse and His Boy or The Magician's Nephew.
      When it comes to the stereotypes, I'm not letting them bother me, as there are always going to be things I don't agree with from the past which have changed now.

      Delete
  2. I feel so bad for that old man and his unsold pile of coffee beans. :-( Although I don't know if I'm supposed to or not. Hope you finished all your 2023 reading challenges! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, you are supposed to feel bad for him.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!