Thursday, April 4, 2024

Always Think of Me by Lori Keesey Review

 


Always Think of Me by Lori Keesey is the author’s debut novel, though she has worked as a journalist for years. I wasn’t quite sure what to expect when I started reading this story, and even though the prologue and first couple of chapters drew me in, I admit I had a bit of trouble staying focused on quite a bit of the story, though the last quarter of the story re-gripped me, and I could not put the book down.

The book begins from the point of view of TC, otherwise known as Tyrus Cal, though he would prefer to NOT be known by those names, thus the TC. He is telling us his story on the day where things got a bit topsy-turvy for him. The reader sees that TC is involved in what appears to be a tragedy, but it is not specified for sure whether he is alive or dead. However, he suddenly has this urgent mission to reach out to an acquaintance he made a year earlier at a music festival.

Something obviously otherworldly is going on, as he suddenly finds himself, along with a companion who cannot be seen, in this person’s house a state away. This other person is Ginny, who appears to be quite down on her luck, depressed, possibly suicidal, and just not the same person he met a year earlier.

For the majority of the story, TC is telling the story at the music festival, though sometimes we get to see Ginny’s point of view. And sometimes we get to see a bit more of present day, and we even get to see part of the story through the point of view of TC’s unseen companion.

Though so much of the story is told during the time of the music festival, it isn’t just events at the music festival that we are seeing. TC and Ginny spend time sharing stories from their past, as they, and we the readers, get to know them, get to learn about their stories, their families and friends, their backgrounds, events that have led them to where they currently are. As Ginny opens up to TC, he begins to feel something is not quite right with her current relationship, but wonders if it is his place to say anything. At the same time, is there something brewing between them?

And then, we get a glimpse at what occurred from the time of the end of the festival and the situation that is taking place in present day.

This is a story of second chances, a story of faith, a story of finding one’s way and a purpose to one’s life. However, one of the reasons I lowered my rating was the lack of mention of the need for faith in Jesus. The Bible is spoken of as a book that is important, and is physically present, but no Scriptural truth is shared in the story. It is made clear that TC’s companion is an angel, and there is mention of the “Big Man” who I can only assume is meant to be God, which yes, bothered me. We know that Ginny’s grandmother had faith and saw how Ginny was with and without her faith. I just wish it was made clear what/who their faith was in. And while I do believe in angels intervening, I couldn’t quite understand why TC was enlisted to help.

I don’t know. I really wanted to be able to rave about this book as I have seen other reviewers do. I did enjoy getting to know TC and Ginny, and the other side characters who were important in their lives. I just have these things I was struggling with. That said, those concerns may not be yours, and you may be inspired by this story. Just be aware, as mentioned, there is mention of suicidal thoughts and there is a scene of domestic violence.

I received an e-copy of this book as a member of the launch team and was not required to write a favorable review. These are my own honest thoughts.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!