Sunday, April 14, 2024

Braving Strange Waters by Sarah Hanks Review

 


Oh my goodness, this book was so good! I am a huge fan of time travel stories, so when I realized Sarah Hank's newest book had time travel in it, I was so excited. This has got to be my favorite book of hers. I was even more excited to realize it is the first book of the Time Sailors series, so more books are to come. 

What a unique take on time travel. Stella and her best friends, Wendy and Claire, are on a cruise on their way to Hawaii prior to her marriage to Everett. Though they are such close friends, they are all hiding something from the other two. Suddenly, Stella mysteriously steps out of the elevator to find herself on a steamboat over a hundred years in the past, in anti-bellum Missouri. A Dr. Duncan comes to her aid, but is he someone she should put her trust in? Adding to the mystery is that there is a Dr. Duncan who introduces himself to her friends in the current day timeline. Yes, we get to see the story from both timelines, and from all three friends' points of view. And Wendy and Claire are able to communicate to Stella, and vice versa, through an antique mailbox. 

Stella has a mission to fulfill in order to make it back to her time, but she's not sure how she can accomplish that when she has no clue what it is. Wendy and Claire attempt to help her, researching what they can, discovering what happened to the steamboat she is on back in the 1850s. But they are dealing with their own issues as well. 

This story drew me right in and wouldn't let go. I was intrigued by the time sailor take on time travel. The author did a great job making me care for all the characters, though there were quite a few times I was frustrated with them when they failed to communicate with each other. Which I guess is sort of hypocritical seeing as I am bad at communicating and opening up. The conflict and danger in the 1856 timeline gripped me and kept me swiping through the pages. As did the relationship issues in modern day. But most importantly there was the faith thread that wove through each of these storylines. Learning to fully trust in Jesus and put one's life in His all-powerful hands. 

I received an e-copy of this book as a member of the launch team and was not required to write a favorable review. These are my own honest thoughts.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!