Friday, September 23, 2022

Friday Fun - September 23, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have two books to share with you. 

I've been planning to read Windward Shore by Sharon Hinck since March, which was when I read the first two books of this trilogy. However, reading challenge books took priority. I finally had a chance to read it this week, and I absolutely loved it. I really wish it wasn't the last book in the series.  


I am currently reading The Joy of Falling by Lindsay Harrel. I needed a book set in Oceania for one of my challenges. This book partially takes place in New Zealand. 



Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Windward Shore by Sharon Hinck:

"Where could he be? I squinted toward the horizon, where stormy sky met turbulent sea. Brantley had planned to be back by midday, but the primary sun was already lowering beyond the churning waves. Not a good sign."

Oh dear, hopefully Brantley is alright. But you know, could just be a typical wife worried about her risk-taking husband.  

And here is my book beginnings for The Joy of Falling by Lindsay Harrel:

"Once upon a time, color had dominated Eva Jamison's days.
Now she started at a white wall, with nothing but a black computer screen, a pen holder, and a stapler decorating her tiny world."

Fairy tale beginning? Nope, a life that had once been like a fairy tale but now void of color. White wall? Hospital? Nope, boring office. The first few sentences sure was setting the feel of Eva's world.  

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Windward Shore by Sharon Hinck
 
"He had a point. Threatening visitors away was one thing. Pursuing us through the midrims and toward the world's center was a different thing altogether. Though after what I'd learned from Alcea, nothing would surprise me." 

The Joy of Falling by Lindsay Harrel
  
"As she peeled off her shoes and socks, Eva couldn't help grimacing. Blisters had recently formed on the back of each foot thanks to her extra running efforts, and she'd covered them with moleskin and gauze. Still, they burned."

2 comments:

  1. They sound both good but the latter appeals to me a little bit more. :-) Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Joy of Falling is one I want to read as well. I hope you enjoy it. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!