Friday, September 9, 2022

Friday Fun - September 9, 2022

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have three books to share with you. At one point I had two of the books started, and then I received my ARC for the third and wasn't sure what to read. 

We had been driving home last Saturday afternoon and it got too dark to continue reading the book I had started, so I picked up my phone to read my ARC of Cross the Line by C.C. Warrens. Let's just say, I couldn't put it down. It was an awesome continuation of Holly's story. You can read my review here


Once I finished Cross the Line, I picked When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer back up, and couldn't put that book back down until I finished. I absolutely loved this book as well. You can read my review here.


I am currently reading Secrets in the Mist by Morgan L. Busse. I've been wanting to read this book for a while, as I absolutely loved her Ravenwood Saga. This seemed like the perfect month to read it as it would fulfill one of my monthly challenges, a genre I have not read. 


Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Cross the Line by C.C. Warrens:

"Flush against the wall, I peered around the corner and up the staircase at the hallway. The second floor was quiet except for muffled voices coming from one of the apartments."

Okay, what was Holly up to now?  

And here is my book beginnings for When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer:

"For as long as I could remember, my mama had told me that my life was a gift. But at the age of nineteen, I had yet to see how this life I was living-or rather, the lives I was living-could be anything other than a burden."

Knowing the premise of the book, I guess I can understand her feeling life was a burden.

And my book beginnings for Secrets in the Mist by Morgan L. Busse:

"Time went by, minute after minute, until finally a deathly silence consumed the streets outside and darkness filled the dingy window. Cass was alone now, with nothing but the locket her mother had given her and her life."

Sounds like a dismal beginning. All alone. 

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Cross the Line by C.C. Warrens
 
"'I wasn't with him when he picked her up, but I didn't approve of the decisions made that night. Everything went. . . sideways, and I knew someone would come around asking questions sooner or later.' He shook his head. 'We should never have left her.'" 

When the Day Comes by Gabrielle Meyer

"'Well,' Lady Paget asked Mother, 'will he do?'
'For my purposes?' Mother's voice was firm and unshakable, 'Quite.'
I turned back to focus on the path ahead, dread pooling in my stomach."

Secrets in the Mist by Morgan L. Busse

"Cass stared at the revolver. She'd heard about guns that fired, well, fire, but had never seen one. She didn't like the idea of burning a Turned, even though she knew the person had long since died and the body left behind was only a mode of transportation for the spores. It was too similar to the fires used after a Purge."

4 comments:

  1. I LOVED Cross the Line and the whole Holly series...but wait, there are MORE coming!! That is C.C.'s goal...possible 8 books :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eek. Three books from three different series? I could never do it. I would get everything goofed up in my brain unless the stories are all completely different. Good luck keeping everything straight! My novel this week is DEACON KING KONG The book is as good as the title!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They all sound like great reads.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2022/09/10/friday-56-american-royals-by-katharine-mcgee/

    ReplyDelete
  4. They all sound good but I was really keen on Secrets In The Mist! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!