Friday, March 10, 2023

Friday Fun - March 10, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have three books to share with you. 

I'm reading Her Darkest Secret by Jessica R. Patch for one of my challenges. It's one of 12 books recommended to me by friends. I may also use it for "a book with a green cover" for a couple of my other challenges, though I realize it's pushing it a bit. BUT, there is green there.
       

I am also reading The Wonderland Trials by Sara Ella. This is also for one of my challenges. I needed a book written for children or young adults. 


And I am also reading A Battle Worth Fighting by Sarah Hanks. This one is actually an ARC as I am on the launch team. The book will be releasing later this month. 



              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my book beginnings for Her Darkest Secret by Jessica R. Patch:

"'Here, kitty, kitty.' His voice echoed through the forest. 
Disoriented and unable to gauge distance, she pressed on, her brain pushing her feet faster than they could carry her."

First line, eh, innocent sounding enough. The "echo"ing through the forest added a bit more suspense. As did the following line. Of course, knowing it was called a "taut psychological thriller" in an endorsement had already shown me sentence one was not going to really be innocent. 

And here is my book beginnings for The Wonderland Trials by Sara Ella:

From the prologue:

"Only someone as mad as a hatter-as the saying goes-would risk her life to win a game."

Well, I guess that could be true.

From chapter 1:

"'And thus the United Kingdom was no more, ushering in a kingdom quite divided indeed, following the conquest of the late-'"

I knew the book was going to be a fantasy book, but know it appeared as if it was a future or even dystopian book. Definitely a bit different than I had been anticipating.

And finally, here is my book beginnings for A Battle Worth Fighting by Sarah Hanks:

"Enough stalling. She needed to call him."

Why was Sahara stalling? Who did she need to call?  

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Her Darkest Secret by Jessica R. Patch:
 
"Owen was one of the best criminal-pattern-theory experts he'd ever worked with and an insatiable hound, but he kept his personal exploits outside the office. Asa and Fiona might have learned a lesson from him."

The Wonderland Trials by Sara Ella:

"'Wake up?' The jest in his words is clear, though he's still hidden. Maybe he's behind one of the doors. Maybe he's the monster. 'Whatever gave you the idea that you're asleep?'"

A Battle Worth Fighting by Sarah Hanks:

"She straightened, shoulders taut. Tension climbed her backbone and stretched through her neck. Had she misjudged him? Told the wrong person? She stuffed her fear under an aloof demeanor. 'It's been done before. Why should I let my husband have all the fun? I'm as much of a patriot as he.'"

2 comments:

  1. They all sound good it would be hard to pick one. Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the covers, not as sure about the teasers. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!