Friday, May 26, 2023

Friday Fun - May 26, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have two books to share with you. 

I read In the Shadow of Denali by Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse for one of my reading challenges. I needed a book that included exploration or pioneering.
       

I'm currently reading A Quilt for Christmas by Melody Carlson. I decided I wanted to challenge myself to read one Christmas book each month this year, as I don't usually read Christmas books. I read The Christmas Cat by this author back in January and I really enjoyed it, so I thought I would try another of her books.


              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my Book Beginnings for In the Shadow of Denali by Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse:

"Henry Brennan-the insufferable man-should've been dead. But he wasn't."

Sounds like someone has issues with this Henry Brennan, and I very much feared for Henry's life and wondered when he would meet his demise, especially having read the blurb on the back cover of the book.

And here is my Book Beginnings for A Quilt for Christmas by Melody Carlson:

"Vera Swanson used to love Christmas."

Okay, so why doesn't she love Christmas anymore?

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

In the Shadow of Denali by Tracie Peterson and Kimberley Woodhouse:
 
"John entered the office and saw their manager appearing grim.
Mrs. Johnson stood on the other side of the room with her hands on her hips, Cassidy to her right with her hands folded in front, and Thomas to the right of her, his head down. 'Mr. Bradley, I'm just asking for a reprieve.'"

A Quilt for Christmas by Melody Carlson:

"'I used to think I'd like to be an interior designer.' Tasha walked around the room, closely examining everything. 'My style is so out there though . . . I could only work for clients who appreciate bright colors, modern art, and eclectic furnishings.'"

4 comments:

  1. I love a good Christmas read!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both books seem interesting, and I like all of the quotes too. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good plant to read a Christmas book not during December when all of them are checked out of the library already!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of reading a Christmas book every month. I certainly have enough holiday themed books on my TBR, I probably would benefit from doing that as well. In the Shadow of Denali sounds good! I hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!