Friday, August 11, 2023

Friday Fun - August 11, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have two books to share with you. 

I just finished Break of Day by Colleen Coble. I've been wanting to read this final book in the Annie Pederson trilogy since I finished book two. It didn't disappoint. 


I finished The Christmas Blessing by Melody Carlson last week. I have challenged myself to read one Chrsitmas themed book each month this year. 


              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my Book Beginnings for Break of Day by Colleen Coble:

"Stupid Kayak. Ella Anderson lay spread-eagled on her back on a tiny spit of land in Lake Superior."
 
Oh no, Ella seems to be having a bad time. 

And here is my Book Beginnings for The Christmas Blessing by Melody Carlson:

"Amelia Richards blinked back tears of hopelessness as she pressed thelid of her overpacked suitcase closed."

And Amelia was having a bad time too.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here is my Friday 56 selection.

Break of Day by Colleen Coble:
 
"Nothing felt familiar. At least not until she walked over to a door on her left and opened it into a tiny bedroom containing a bunk bed. The sight of the Care Bears spreads brought a flash of memory that blurred her vision. Almost in a trance, she entered and touched the worn cotton fabric."

The Christmas Blessing by Melody Carlson:

"When she awoke it was to the sound of Jimmy's muffled sobs. His cries were so much quieter than usual, but she suspected it was simply because, like her, he was worn out from being sick."

6 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to why you are limiting yourself to only one Christmas-themed book a month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good openings. They immediately let us know the characters are facing problems while giving us a little context.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure I get the quote from the Christmas book. She was crying and snapped shut her suitcase. "And she was having a bad time, too." It seems incongruent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have Colleen's book from the library, and hoping to actually read the whole series! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not familiar with Break of Day (or the series), but it looks interesting. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That 56 for Break of Day took me back too!! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!