Monday, August 14, 2023

Lost in Darkness by Michelle Griep Review

 


I read Lost in Darkness by Michelle Griep for one of my reading challenges last month, but completely forgot to share my review.

This was an awesome regency-era book. It was my first book by this author. I had been wanting to read it for a while, and I finally was able to fit it into my reading schedule. I was quickly absorbed into this story. I was thinking it was going to be creepy. But it wasn't. It was disturbing at times, but not creepy.

Amelia Balfour is a travel writer in 1815 England who is desperate to be on her way to Cairo, but her father passes away and she needs to follow his last wish, which is to make sure her younger, deformed brother Colin gets the surgery her father had set up in the hopes to better his life.

We get to see this story through three points of view, Amelia's, Colin's, and Graham Lambert's a former Navy surgeon who has recently partnered with the surgeon who will be performing Colin's surgery, Mr. Peckwood.

I have to say, Mr. Peckwood was really frustrating me, and I felt bad for Colin and Amelia and Graham, all who had to deal with him in different ways. Quite the egotistical character. But of course he was the professional who knew everything, so it wasn't right to question him. Even though Colin's life was the one on the line. Along with Mr. Lambert's job and reputation.

I loved how caring Graham was. And I loved the relationship that developed between him and Amelia. All while they were trying to go what was best for Colin.

And yes, I loved that the author of Frankenstein was a character in this book, and the events in the story were her inspiration for her story. (I mean, not really, it is just fiction, but I loved the idea of having Colin's story be her inspiration.)

I loved the different relationships in the story. I loved how the characters grew in faith. I even loved their neighbor's quirky pets. So many fun little details, plus great historical details.

Definitely a book I highly recommend, and I can't wait to read the second book in this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!