Friday, January 12, 2024

Friday Fun - January 12, 2024

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with three different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays, the Friday 56, and First Line Friday.

This week I have three books to share with you.

I am reading Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kinzer for one of my reading challenges. I needed a book that was a debut book for an author. And I had this one on my Kindle app for a while, so I thought I would read it. I'm about a third of the way through and finding it quite amusing. 


I'm also reading If I Were You by Lynn Austin. I've been meaning to get to this book for weeks now. It's my first book by this author, and I am really enjoying it.


I was also just approved for Sara Brunsvold's newest book, The Divine Proverb of Streusel, through NetGalley. I loved her book, The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip and was thrilled to get a chance to read this early. Especially because it took months for my library to get The Extraordinary Deaths of Mrs. Kip in.


        Book Beginnings on Friday     


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

and

First Line Friday


(Please join C arrie for First Line Friday.)


Here is my Book Beginnings/First Line Friday selection:

  Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kinzer:

"Henry grimaced, not sure which irritated him more-the persistent ache in his knee or the relentless voice in his ear."

Why is Henry so irritated, what happened to his knee, and who is pestering him?

If I Were You by Lynn Austin:

"Eve Dawson bolted upright in bed."

Oh no, what's wrong? Because, there is usually something wrong if someone just bolts up in bed.

The Divine Proverb of Streusel by Sara Brunsvold:

"The message left little reason to believe Nikki Werner still held significance in her dad's life."

Well, that's sort of depressing.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is normally hosted over at Freda's Voice. But Anne from My Head is Full of Books is taking over for a while. 

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Dear Henry, Love Edith by Becca Kinzer:
 
"The man stared at his girlfriend as if he didn't recognize her-or perhaps like she was a piece of abstract art he would never understand-before shaking his head. 'I canceled. Aren't you supposed to be with Chad? I didn't expect to see you again until next week.'"

If I Were You by Lynn Austin:

"Audrey turned to her. Eve's freckles stood out against her pink cheeks. 'I'm so sorry, Eve. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I only thought. . .' What had she thought? Fussing about her wardrobe was something Mother would do, and Audrey didn't want to be like her. 'I thought we would look like sisters if we dressed the same.'"

The Divine Proverb of Streusel by Sara Brunsvold:

"They laughed together, the first time in so long. It filled Nikki in ways butter-drenched food couldn't.
Until her sister's smile drew in. 'Speaking of romance. . .'she started.
The rest of the sentence didn't need to be spoken. Nikki grabbed a throw pillow and held it to her chest. 'He hasn't returned my text.'"

Reviews:

Last week I shared three books in my Friday Fun post. If you'd like to read my reviews, I invite you to click on the links below. 

3 comments:

  1. I like to read award books. I've never heard of the Christy Award. Is it for mysteries like Agatha Christy novels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've requested The Divine Proverb of Streusel, recently! I hope you enjoy it.
    See my post here: https://mamaneedsabook.blogspot.com/2024/01/first-line-friday-we-have-always-lived.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!
    I'm just starting Cold Threat by Nancy Mehl.
    "I watched as fire devoured the house as if it were living."
    I hope you have a great weekend with lots of relaxing reading time. 😊

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!