Thursday, July 13, 2023

Friday Fun - July 14, 2023

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with two different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays and the Friday 56.

This week I have two books to share with you. 

I am reading an ARC of Over the Horizon by Penny Zeller. This is the first book in her new Horizons series. It releases on July 18th! I'll be sharing my review soon.


I'm also reading Echoes Among the Stones by Jaime Jo Wright. I'm reading this book for a couple of my reading challenges. It is a book that was recommended to me (though I already planned on reading it soon because I have a goal to read all her books), and I am in a group on Facebook called Eating Our Words. Jaime Jo Wright is one of the admins. This month's challenge is to read a book by one of the EOW authors. 

              
Book Beginnings on Fridays


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

Here is my Book Beginnings for Over the Horizon by Penny Zeller:

"Paisley hurried through the town of Cornwall, lost in an area she'd never before been."
 
Why was she in a rush, and why was she lost. I wasn't sure, but it did draw me in right away.

And here is my Book Beginnings for Echoes Among the Stones by Jaime Jo Wright:

"She should have paid more attention to her longtime neighbor, Oliver Schneider, when she passed him on the road at dawn."

Hmm, had to wonder why. Especially in light of what I read in the blurb on the back cover. Something bad was going to happen.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is hosted over at Freda's Voice.
Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections.

Over the Horizon by Penny Zeller:
 
"Paisley stood on tiptoe, and dusted the corners of her room. Dust filled her nostrils and twice she sneezed. She dusted the top of the bureau, then leaned down and reached to dust underneath. That's when she noticed something beneath the dresser."

Echoes Among the Stones by Jaime Jo Wright:

"Imogene wanted to throw herself into her older brother's arms. As she had as a child. But so much had changed. So much was different now. There were ghosts in his eyes that she didn't understand."

8 comments:

  1. Lots of interesting quotes from both books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I found them quite intriguing. And I'm loving the books

      Delete
  2. Intriguing 56 for Over The Horizon! I like the beginning for Echoes Among The Stones, like why should she have paid more attention.... so intriguing! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost went with a different quote for the 56, but that one kept drawing me back. I thought it was quite intriguing.

      Delete
  3. Eating Our Words? What does that group do? I'm fascinated by the title of the group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took this straight from the description of the group, because I wasn't sure how to explain:
      "Welcome to our community where we eat our words... and chew on them for awhile! Literally... figuratively... veritably... metaphorically... um, you get the idea.
      Join authors: Tracie Peterson, Kimberley Woodhouse, Becca Whitham, Jocelyn Green, Jayna Breigh (Jana Riediger), Darcie Gudger, and Jaime Jo Wright as we allow you to watch us EAT. OUR. WORDS."
      The authors/admins take turns weekly being in charge of the group. And they offer different challenges, behind the scenes info, book recommendations, and insider info. I actually joined the group because I learned of their reading challenge last year. Each of the monthly challenge prompts has a food related theme. For example, January was "appetizers" which meant to read a book by an author we've never read before. This month we need to read a "house special," which means a book by one of the EOW authors.

      Delete
  4. I'm reading a Jaime Jo Wright book right now too. :-) This one looks very good as well, and the opening sure hints at trouble to come. And I wonder what Paisley found under the dresser . . . Hope you're enjoying these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am enjoying them very much. I've enjoyed all of Jaime Jo Wright's books. I'm curious which one you are reading.
      I also am very curious what Paisley found under the dresser. Working to get to that part of the book.

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!