Thursday, July 20, 2023

The Blackout Book Club by Amy Lynn Green Review

 


The Blackout Book Club by Amy Lynn Green is the first book I have read by this author and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was recommended to me as a part of a "12 Recommendations for 2023" challenge. Though the majority of the story takes place during WWII, we get to see flashbacks to WWI, which was quite intriguing to me because I had just finished another book that took place during WWI and I was sort of picturing what was happening in that book while I was reading this book. Though this book takes place in Maine, USA, and the other takes place in England.

I was quite intrigued to learn more about how WWI affected people on the eastern coast of America during this time.

The story is told from the point of view of four women. Avis who is the librarian at the town's library now that her brother (who was the librarian) is away fighting in the war. Louise who owns the library and whose story we also see in the flashbacks to WWI. Ginny who had to move from Long Island because the government took over the island for military uses. And Martina, who struggles because she is Italian so there are quite a few people who don't trust her. She is friends with Ginny, and also works with her. They were two of the first people who joined the book club. Another main character is Freddy.

We learn more about the lives of each of these characters both in and outside of the book club. The story also contains the minutes from the book club which give us more insights into the characters and their insights into the books they are reading. Plus we also get to learn more through letters that Avis receives
There was suspense due to the war and the concern of UBoats and spies and possible saboutage, in addition to somepersonal drama and secrets being revealed.

This book held my attention and I loved getting to know the characters and loved how the relationships between the characters evolved through their interactions and the importance of the book club and the library.

I can't wait to read more from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!