Sunday, February 11, 2024

The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson Review

 


For one of my challenges I had to read a book with a dog on the cover. I chose to read The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson. This was my first Christmas book of the year (I want to try to read at least one each month or 12 as sometimes I don't get them read one per month). This book was technically for January, but I just finished it this morning.
The Christmas Dog was a sweet story about an elderly woman named Betty who just isn't feeling the Christmas spirit this year. Christmas is approaching and she is dealing with a frustrating next door neighbor named Jack who she is struggling with showing the love of Christ to. Just who is this man that is now living in her old friends' house? Because of his strange and annoying habits rumors have begun traveling around the neighborhood and Betty keeps jumping to conclusions about it and worrying. And to top it off, her granddaughter who is estranged from her parents and has been "missing" shows up on her doorstep. And of course, we can't forget the dog who plays a major roll in this story. Does this mangy mutt have a home? Does he belong to her annoying neighbor Jack and is he not being taken care of? Will the doggie be able to worm his way into her heart, or is Betty too closed off to love?
I thought this book did a great job reminding us to show Christ's love to others and not jump to conclusions and listen to rumors. This little doggie came into these neighbors' lives and brought some changes for the better. There was a bit that was a little predictable but I loved the way it all turned out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!