Friday, February 16, 2024

Friday Fun - February 16, 2024

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with three different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays, the Friday 56, and First Line Friday.

This week I have two books to share with you.

I am reading The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep for one of my reading challenges


I am also reading Embers in the London Sky by Sarah Sundin. 


        Book Beginnings on Friday     


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

and

First Line Friday


(Please join C arrie for First Line Friday.)


Here are my Book Beginnings/First Line Friday selections:

  The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep:

"My precious Lord;
My only hope;
My Saviour, how I need you now.

Eleanor Morgan repeated the words, over and over, scrubbing her fingernails more vigorously with each repetition."

What happened to Eleanor, or what did Eleanor do, that she need to clean her fingernails vigorously and repeat the prayerful words. This gripped me right away and I needed to know what was going on.

Embers in the London Sky by Sarah Sundin:

"As soon as she escaped to England, Aleida van der Zee Martens would cut her hair and have her son photographed for the first time."

Why does she need to escape? Who is she escaping from? Is she cutting her hair to hide? And if so, why is she getting a picture of her son, and why has he never been photographed before? So many questions from that first sentence.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is normally hosted over at Freda's Voice. But Anne from My Head is Full of Books is taking over for a while. 

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections:

The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep:
 
"Repentance never came easy, but he'd learned that when it did come calling, to open the door wide with a hearty welcome. He never should have treated this woman so harshly in town this morning. The rude awakening. The heartless marriage vows. His silence on the drive home. All because he was too consumed with ignoring his own pain to be mindful of her feelings. He hung his head. Oh God, forgive me. Again."

Embers in the London Sky by Sarah Sundin:

"But today Louisa had been called away for a story. She'd tried to disuade Aleida from going herself, but she couldn't let a Friday slip past. Every week, every day, her son drifted further from her."

Reviews:

Last week I shared three books in my Friday Fun post. If you would like to read my reviews, I invite you to click on the links below. I didn't finish The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson yet, so I will have to share that review next week.

Reverence in the Wilderness by Andrea Byrd

Also, I finished The Christmas Dog by Melody Carlson. Here is my review.

3 comments:

  1. Emotional sounding books.

    Have a great weekend!

    Emily @ Budget Tales Book Blog
    My post:
    https://budgettalesblog.wordpress.com/2024/02/16/first-line-friday-the-big-the-bad-and-the-aunties-by-jesse-sutanto/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Two same books in a row...Embers in the London Sky. Guess I'd best check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Friday!
    I'm almost done with Calling on the Matchmaker by Jody Hedlund. I love this book!
    "He didn't know what to say, didn't want to probe, but he also didn't want to ignore her obvious distress. Rather than say the wrong thing, he stood silently and waited."
    Have a great weekend! 😀❤️📚

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!