Thursday, September 12, 2024

Friday Fun - September 13, 2024

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with three different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays, the Friday 56, and First Line Friday.

This week I have three books to share with you.

I read Cold Threat by Nancy Mehl earlier this week.


I'm currently reading Into the Fire by Irene Hannon.


And I also started Beyond Ivy Walls by Rachel Fordham.


        Book Beginnings on Friday     


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

and

First Line Friday


(Please join C arrie for First Line Friday.)

Here are my Book Beginnings/First Line Friday selections:

  Cold Threat by Nancy Mehl:

"I watched as fire devoured the house as if it were a living, breathing monster, ravenous for death and destruction."

I loved the way the author gave life to the fire, and it wasn't clear until the second sentence whether the person watching the fire thought the fire was a good or a bad thing.

Into the Fire by Irene Hannon

"Fire was cleansing. Sacrificial, almost."

Yes, I did read two books that had to do with arson back to back. And it was clear with this book that the fire was seen as good by this person.

Beyond Ivy Walls by Rachel Fordham:

"Mama always said eavedropping was the surest way to stir trouble and make enemies out of perfectly good neighbors."

Good advice.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is normally hosted over at Freda's Voice. But Anne from My Head is Full of Books is taking over for a while. 

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections:

Cold Threat by Nancy Mehl:
 
"River opened the file and pulled out some of the reports, but she couldn't concentrate completely. As she reached for the cup of hot chocolate, she wondered just what Beth had meant by her parting words."

Into the Fire by Irene Hannon:

"'Fine by me, but I'll let you do the honors. I'd crush those fragile shells.' He rose, pulled the small paring knife from the block on the counter, and handed it to her as he reclaimed his chair.
'So, tell me about this woman.'
They were back to that."

Beyond Ivy Walls by Rachel Fordham:

"'No, I'll be fine.' She sneezed, covering her nose. 'What's that?'
He followed her pointing finger toward another large chest. To get to it he had to move a crate of old medicine bottles. It'd been years, and the sight of them shouldn't bother him, but it did. His hands shook as he placed them on the side of the crate."

Reviews:

Last week I shared two books in my Friday Fun post. Here is the link to one of them:
:

Also, here is my review of Cold Threat by Nancy Mehl, the first book from today's Friday Fun post.

3 comments:

  1. I like how the first two openings both mention fire. And you're right about that first one--the description of the fire brings it to life. I hope you are enjoying your reading and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Friday56 excerpts really intrigued me. I wonder about the man's relationship to the old medicine bottles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Saturday!
    I'm currently reading Of Shadow and Gold by Michelle Griep. It is so good!
    "It felt wrong to leave like this, which was frustrating."
    I hope you are having an excellent weekend so far. Happy reading! 🙂❤️📚

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!