Friday, March 8, 2024

Fake Engagement at the Rusted K by Cali Black Review

 


Wow! The second book in Cali Black's The Fake Series was really intense. I admit, I wasn't sure if I was going to finish it once I started. I knew this series wasn't marketed as Christian as the other books I have read by her have been. I knew it was going to have sizzle, and I still agreed to read it. So, when things did get a bit more sizzly than I am used to, I almost set it aside. Almost. And I have to say, I am very glad I did not.

Yes, this book has things I am a bit uncomfortable reading. But yes, it is clean as in, you won't find swearing or detailed intimate encounters. She leaves the real gritty for behind closed doors, which I appreciated. Because otherwise, I would have set it aside. But woo, the sizzle is still there. There is talk of sex and points where the characters are staring at each other's bodies and talking about them, and there is a bunch of premarital sex in the past. So, is you want none of that in your books, you will probably want to avoid this story.

The story alternates viewpoints between Ren Connor, one of the sisters of Ridge from the first book in the series, Fake Relationship at the Triple Z, and Cash Warren, famous bad boy, country music star who Ren meets through Ridge. Ren is hired as Cash's nanny, to take care of his newborn son. We don't know where the mother is,which of course raises questions in and of itself. Ren herself is dealing with issues because of her ex, the father of her daughter Ellie.

Due to an unexpected turn of events, Ren and Cash are suddenly fake engaged and spending time in the spotlight trying to convince the world of their relationship. But they both have feelings for each other, but don't think the other has feelings for the other, at least feelings that will lead to a lasting relationship.

There are quite a few twists in this story, along with some danger and suspense. Plus dealing with some legal issues for more than one reason. All things that kept me swiping from page to page to see what would happen next and how everything would resolve.

And though this isn't labeled as a Christian book, the author has still found a way to bring faith into the story.

I received an ARC of this book as a member of the launch team and was not required to write a favorable review. These are my own honest thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!