Friday, August 23, 2024

Friday Fun - August 23, 2024

Welcome to my Friday Fun post. This is where I share with three different book parties that post on Fridays: Book Beginnings on Fridays, the Friday 56, and First Line Friday.

This week I have three books to share with you.

I am currently reading The Mobster's Daughter by Rachel Scott McDaniel for one of my reading challenges. 


I'm also reading  Finishing School by Jennifer Mistmorgan. It is a free novella from signing up for her newsletter. The main reason I am currently reading it is because characters from this book are in the new book I am on the ARC team for (posted below this one). 


I'll be starting The Light Keeper's Wife by Jennifer Mistmorgan later today. 


        Book Beginnings on Friday     


(Please join Gilion Dumas for Book Beginnings every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.)

and

First Line Friday


(Please join C arrie for First Line Friday.)

Here are my Book Beginnings/First Line Friday selections:

  The Mobster's Daughter by Rachel Scott McDaniel:

"Snapping wind yanked at the letter in my hand, and my fingers tightened, the crisp edge biting into my palm."

What's so important about this letter that she is hanging onto it in the wind?

Finishing School by Jennifer Mistmorgan:

"Amy Snee knew one thing for sure."

And what would that be?

The Light Keeper's Wife by Jennifer Mistmorgan:

"'Home.' 
Amy Lewis whispered the word and let the thrill sink deep into her heart."

Hmm, why was she not at home and how long had she been gone that this was such a thrill.

Now for:
The Friday 56


The Friday 56 is normally hosted over at Freda's Voice. But Anne from My Head is Full of Books is taking over for a while. 

Rules:
*Grab a book, any book.
*Turn to page 56 or 56% in your eReader
(If you have to improvise, that's ok.)
 *Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grab you.
*Post it.
*Add your (url) post below in Linky. Add the post url, not your blog url. It's that simple.

Here are my Friday 56 selections:

The Mobster's Daughter by Rachel Scott McDaniel:
 
"The truth will set you free. Madre Chamberlin's reedy voice echoed off the brittle places of my heart. My lashes lowered, but I could still see my former guardian's pale eyes - always filled with conviction but never love. A sigh rattled my chest, but I wouldn't give it place. In my life, the truth wouldn't free me, only destroy."

Finishing School by Jennifer Mistmorgan:

"He heard she did brilliantly in the test. He wasn't there to see it because Paxton removed him from his station.
Good thing, too. He might have done something stupid. Again."

The Light Keeper's Wife by Jennifer Mistmorgan:

"At the sound of the housekeeper's approach, she pocketed the list and replaced the folder and the pill in the drawer, hearing the click of the lock just as the other woman entered."

Reviews:

Last week I shared two books in my Friday Fun post. Here are the links to my reviews:
:

3 comments:

  1. The Mobster's Daughter sounds like it could be intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading The Happy Life of Isadora Bentley by Courtney Walsh. It's really good!
    "Just before noon, my heart rate skyrockets."
    I hope you have a great weekend. 🙂❤️📚

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fascinating passages from each book. How can I choose a favorite? Enjoy them all!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!