Tuesday, August 27, 2024

The Mobster's Daughter by Rachel Scott McDaniel Review

 


Oh wow, The Mobster’s Daughter by Rachel Scott McDaniel is an awesome book. 5 stars from me for this un-put-downable book. I have never read a book by this author before, and only picked up this book because it was this month’s reading challenge for one of my groups. I am so glad I had a chance to read it.

The book is about a young lady who had been abandoned by her father as a child. She was left in Italy while he made his way to America. At the opening of the book, she is a young lady in her 20s and we find that she has made her way to America, Pittsburgh PA to be exact. And she is shocked to discover her father is a notorious crime lord. Fast forward 9 months and we find Kate Chamberlin, as she has decided to call herself, is now working for KDKA radio and is quite famous for her musical talents, both vocal and playing the piano. Suddenly she finds herself in danger and under the protection of detective Rhett Jennings, who she discovers is the son of a man her father is accused of murdering. Now, not only does she need to keep her identity secret from the crime families who may be planning to cause her harm, but she also can’t allow Rhett to discover her true identity.

I loved seeing their relationship evolve, but felt for Kate as she struggled with the lies that she felt she had to keep. Lies that she felt would bring God’s wrath down on her, as she knew of His righteous justice, but not of His mercy and love.

Would she ever find a place where she belonged, where she didn’t feel everyone was being ripped from her? Would Rhett ever get justice for the death of his father. Would he be able to get beyond the bitterness that the anger and need for vengeance? Redemption and forgiveness play a big role in this story. As does the importance of truth.

There were twists and turns in this story that kept me turning the pages. Suspense and danger as well as moments of compassion and caring, plus some humor and sadness as well. The author made me fall in love with these characters and I needed to know what was going to happen. And yes, I found myself in tears at times. Quite the emotional roller coaster.

And the author also did a wonderful job of bringing 1920's Pittsburgh to life. I loved the little bits of real history she added to the story

Definitely a book I highly recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for stopping by. If you have the time, I would appreciate it if you leave a comment. Have a blessed day!